Frequently Asked Questions & Further Study Information

Here you will find answers to frequently asked questions as well as further information on studying at Trier University.

Please note that this page is continuously under construction and will be updated regularly.

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions & Answers


Status 08.09.2021

Please consider any recent information provided by the Federal Ministry of Health, the Federal State Government as well as by Trier City and Trier University on the situation and developments of Covid-19. The information on this site makes no claims of being complete and might change due to changing regulations. 

Frequently asked questions and answers can be found on the site of the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community.


1. Where do I find updated information on Covid-19 in Germany and Trier?

All information that you find here originates from the Federal Ministry of Health and by Trier City. There you find recent information. You can find further information by Trier University here. You will find more information on the situation in Rhineland-Palatinate on the websites of the federal state government.

Due to the rapidly changing situation please inform yourself about the regulations and requirements for entry into Germany, test and quarantine regulations on the official websites of the Federal Ministry of Health.


2. What regulations apply to international students in Rhineland-Palatinate after entry?

Please note that in any case you must show a negative Corona test before departure. This is checked by the airline and on request also by the federal police.

For exchange or international degree students arriving from a hig-risk area (see list by RKI), it is imperative that you

-         register your arrival digitally in advance ( The registration will be immediately forwarded to the local health department

-         have a proof of vaccination, testing or recovery. (Tests accepted: PCR test, max. 72 h before arrival, or antigen test, max. 48 h before arrival.)

For exchange or international degree students arriving from a virus variant of concern area (see list by RKI), it is imperative that you

-         register your arrival digitally in advance ( The registration will be immediately forwarded to the local health department

-         have a proof of  testing. (Tests accepted: PCR test, max. 72 h before arrival, or antigen test, max. 48 h before arrival.) The proof of vaccination or recovery is not sufficient

Please note that there may be changes to the testing and quarantine requirements. Please inform yourself on the official pages mentioned above.

Please make sure to check the current RKI list on high incident areas and "areas of variants of concern" 

We also recommend that all students install and use the "Corona-Warn-App". You can find further information here.


3. Where can I get tested for Covid-19?

If you wish, you can get tested in Germany. Tests will no longer be offered for free from October 21 on. Corona service points in Germany are listed here. Please check again if and where the tests will be availbel before travelling to Germany.

Test centers at Trier city are listed here.

Further frequently asked questions regarding corona testing when travelling to Germany can be found here.

Please note that there may be changes to the testing and quarantine requirements. Please inform yourself on the official pages mentioned above.


4. What do I do if I feel ill / if typical Covid-19 symptoms emerge?

If you feel ill or have typical Covid-19 symptoms (difficulties breathing, newly developed cough, fever or loss of smell or taste), immediately report to the health service in Trier. Even if your test was negative before but you do show sympoms now, contact a doctor or a Corona service point as soon as possible. Please do not go there in person but call first.

Generally when you feel ill, you contact a general practitioner (Hausarzt in Geman). Take your insurane documents such as your health insurance card or your confirmation documents of your health insurance (for private health insurance) and your passport or identity card with you to your doctor's appointment.


5. Where do I have to wear a mask?

In Germany, you must wear a face mask in situations where the minimum distance of 1.5 metres cannot be maintained. This is the case for shops, on public transport, in waiting rooms, when you receive a delivery, and for all services where you cannot keep the minimum distance of 1.5 metres.

The current rules at Trier University (on campus) can be found here.

6. From where do I get food in case of quarantine? 

If you have to go into quarantine or self-isolation for several days after your arrival, there are possibilities to order food and groceries from restaurants and supermarkets that will be delivered to your door. Please do not leave your room during quarantine to go buy food on your own.

  • Restaurants: You can order from a couple of restaurants in Trier via the delivery service Lieferando after entering your address. 
  • Supermarkets:Rewe, a big German supermarket, delivers food and other products of daily living to your home.
  • Drug Store:DM delivers cleaning and care products, cosmetics, healthcare items or household products. 

You can easily pay online via a range of different payment options such as via credit card or PayPal. We recommend you bring a credit card with you to Germany.

Visa, Entering Germany and Registration

1. Do I need a visa in order to enter Germany?

Depending on your citizenship, you may require a Visa to enter the Federal Republic of Germany (Bundesrepublik Deutschland – BRD). Please consult a German diplomatic agency or consular post in your home country on entry and residence regulations.

Here, you will find more information.
A list of German embassies abroad can be found here (only in German).


2. How do I get to Trier?

There are several different options of reaching Trier. For example, there are several airports in the vicinity of Trier:

  • Frankfurt (Main)
  • Luxemburg
  • Köln/Bonn

We recommend those three airports if you arrive from North or South America, Asia, Oceania, or Africa. For shorter distance, e.g. from a European country, you may also use the smaller airports “Frankfurt (Hahn)“ and “Saarbrücken“. If you arrive from a European country by train, you can also find the train connections on the Deutsche Bahn homepage or on the homepage of the railway company of your home country. A further opition is using coaches (only in German). Here, you will find further information on travelling to Trier (only in German).


3. How do I register at the municipal office of Trier City?

The International Office offers support for registering at the municipal office of Trier City during the registration days.


4. What do I have to do after the registration at Trier City?

After registering at Trier City, you will have to register your accommodation in Germany for the Contribution Service. You will find more information on the Contribution Service and how to register here.

Health Insurance and Opening a Bank Account

1. Do I have to get health insurance for studying in Germany? What kind of health insurance (statutory orprivate) should I get?

In Germany it is mandatory for all students to have health insurance. Proof of adequate health insurance coverage must be presented when registering at Trier University. If you come from a country in the EC or a country that has a Social Security Treaty with Germany, you need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), a form E 111/128 or an equivalent replacement certificate from your health insurance back home (valid for the whole duration of your stay). This entitles you to health insurance in Germany and a German health insurance company will provide you with an insurance certificate when you present one of the above listed documents. In case you are from another country, you are required to take out a German health insurance.

2. What is the difference between statutory and private health insurance? 

In Germany there are two different kinds of health insurances, the statutory and the private health insurance. The statutory health insurances are usually less expensive. Which health insurance you can get in Germany depends on your age and the number of semesters that you have already studied. You may take out statutory health insurance (approx. 110€ per month for students) as long as you are younger than 30 years old or have not exceeded 14 semesters of study. Even if the monthly charge of private health insurance is lower, it is important to know that with private health insurance you need to pay costs for doctor appointments and medicine in advance and get reimbursed by the insurance company later on.


3. Opening a Bank Account

For smooth and cost-efficient money transactions (e.g. wiring the monthly rent), you should open a checking account with one of the banks in Trier as soon as possible. As a Trier University student, you will get a free-of-charge student checking account with most banks.

Documents you need for opening a bank account:

  • Identity Card or Passport
  • Registration Certificate by the Residents‘ Registration Office
  • Student Enrolment Certificate by Trier University (to be found on PORTA under My Studies > Student Service > Reports)

Downtown Trier as well as close to Trier University, there are subsidiaries of almost all major well-known German as well as some foreign banks .

Studying and Living at Trier University

1. Are the facilities at Trier University open?

All university buildings at Trier University operate regular opening times. It is compulsory to wear a medical facial mask or a facial mask of KN95/N95 or FFP2 standard. From October 25th, the university library will operate regular opening times (pre-Covid-19). Detailed opening hours can be found here. The cafeterias on Campus 1 and 2 are open.The 3G-rule applies for the interior of Mensa Tarforst, Mensa Petrisberg as well as the cafeteria in building A/B.

Here, you can find a map of Trier University and its buildings here. This video shows you around campus.


2. Are there any catering options at Trier University?

Trier University offers several canteens and cafeterias. At the moment, the Cafeteria Tarforst on campus (Campus I) offers take away food from Monday to Friday from 8 am to 2:15 pm. At the current moment, you can only pay with the TUNIKA or debit card and not in cash.


3. Where do I get information on the classes taught in the winter semester?

You can find information on the classes that are taught this winter semester on the websites of the subjects/departments or on PORTA.


4. What is PORTA?

PORTA is the integrated campus-management-system of Trier University. Via PORTA you can sign up for and/or off of classes. You also find information on classes, your grades and further documents about your studies such as your confirmation of enrolment. 


5. Where can I find my enrolment certificate (German: Immatrikulationsbescheinigung)?

You will find your enrolment certifcate (called "Immatrikulationsbescheinigung" in German) on PORTA under "My Studies" > "Student Service" > "Reports").


6. How do I find classes on PORTA?

Here you will find how to look for classes on PORTA.


7. Where and when can I sign up for classes?

You can sign up for classes on PORTA after having succesfully enrolled at Trier University and after having received your ZIMK login credentials. Please check the registration periods for classes here or in the basic data of the class on PORTA. You will not be able to sign up for a class out of the registration period.

Here you will find an explanation how to sign up for your classes in PORTA.
After having signed up for courses, your data will be exported to the Stud.ip system as well (might take up to 24 hours).


8. How do I access the university’s management systems?

You can access the university’s management systems and search engines via the website of Trier University where you find links to PORTA, Stud.ip, your e-mail account and the library’s search engine.
Here you will find a presenation on how to use Stud.ip.


9. What is the TUNIKA and for what do I use it?

The TUNIKA (Trier Universitätskarte = Trier University Card) is your student ID card which you will get after successfully enrolling at Trier University. The chip-card states your name, your student number, your number for the University Library as well as the duration of your studies for which you are enrolled and registered. The TUNIKA provides access to various university services (the library, sport and fitness centre, Mensa/cafeterias etc.). Your TUNIKA is also a bus and train ticket within the boundaries of the "Verkehrsverbundes im Raum Trier" (VRT). You can pay with your TUNIKA in the Mensa/cafeteria, at vending machines and in order to printo on the multifunction devices on campus. The TUNIKA is also your library card to borrow books and helps access computer pool rooms. Your TUNIKA is also a Cultural Semester Ticket. You can find detailed information on the various functions of the TUNIKA here.


10. Where do I find more information on student life in Trier?

On this page, you will find information on life in Trier such as mobility, catering, student funding, uniSPORT and further freetime activities. 

University Library

1. When is the University Library open? 

The University Library on Campus I is currently open 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, and open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday on Campus II, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday.

As on the entire campus, a surgical mask or a mask of the KN95/N95 or FFP2 standard must be worn in the library! The mask requirement also applies in the workplace.

2. What am I allowed to take into the library?

Please note that you are not allowed to bring jackets or bags with you into the library. You can put all these items in a locker that you secure with a padlock before going into the library. You will find lockers on the ground floor of the University Library's main entrance and in front of all other entrances of the University Library. You can buy a padlock from the Studierendenwerk at the Mensa, at the AB Café (if open) and at Eletro Spang im Treff.

Course Choice/ECTS

1. How many ECTS points will I get for my class?

Many classes are offered 2 SWS (semester hours per week), i.e. 90 minutes/week. The exact number of ECTS credits varies from class to class and is dependent on the workload of your level (Bachelor/Master) and your subject. You can find more information on ECTS points on the page ECTS-Coordinators under ETCS-Info (if available) as well as the ECTS-coordinator for your subject in Trier. For more information on classes, ECTS points or any other subject related questions please contact your ECTS-coordinator.

Learning Agreement

You can find the current information about the preparation of the Learning Agreement during your Erasmus stay here:

Instructions Learning Agreement (German and English version)

OLA step by step guide

OLA (Changes) step by step guide