Course Selection

When does the semester in Trier begin?

The actual fall semester begins at the 1st of October, with the lectures and seminars normally starting in the second half of October. Likewise, the spring semester begins at the 1st of April and its lectures and seminars in the second half of April. You can find more details about important dates and deadlines in the academic calendar. For ERASMUS students, it is important to arrive some weeks earlier to find an apartment and maybe take part in a language course.

Does something like an ERASMUS student orientation week take place at the Department of Business Administration, Economics and Sociology?

At the beginning of each term an introduction for ERASMUS students takes place. You have the possibility to ask questions about everything you worry about. The exact dates will be listed on the website and on posters which you can find in the C-Building.
For further questions you can always contact the ERASMUS assistants in C 346.

Which subjects does Trier University offer?
Information about the lectures, seminars, etc. can be found in the current university course catalogue. Additionally, you can find descriptions of basic economic and business lectures on our homepage. Further information can be found here.

You can find the current university course catalogue for faculty IV in the PORTA system which you will find here.

Are there any courses offered  that are taught in English?

Courses taught in English are mainly offered by the FFA program. Some other courses can be found here.

How does the registration of courses work?

The registration takes place in the week before the start of the semester. The International Office will help you with the registration.

Who signs the Learning Agreement?

Jan-Patrick Proost (exchangestuduni-trierde) as Receiving Responsible Person from the International Office signs the Learning Agreement. For more information regarding the guidance for a Learning Agreement, please click here.


How many ECTS am I allowed to receive?

You should receive 30 ECTS each semester. But it also depends on your Learning Agreement and the agreements you have made with your coordinator at your university. Please check with your home university in advance. 



When do the exams take place?
Generally, the exams are written at the end of the semester or during the semester break. However, sometimes the exams for ERASMUS students are scheduled before the end of the semester, but this will be decided by each professor indivudally.

How does the registration for the exams work?

The registration for exams has to be coordinated with the particular chair. In general, you can find the registration lists in the secretary's office. The professors will inform you during the respective lecture.

Are there oral exams offered?
The option to take an oral exam, instead of a written one, will be decided by the professor. Please contact the respective professor during his or her office hours.  

Transcript of Records

How do I receive a Transcript of Records for the passed courses?

You have to apply for the transcript. Further information about the "Transcript of Records" can be found  here.


Is there any support given for the new exchange students regarding living and studying in Trier?

At the beginning of each semester, the International Office offers a 3.5-week introductory seminar (with German course, help with bureaucratic formalities and leisure program). Information about this can be found here. Currently, the program takes place online due to Covid19. In addition, the International Office arranges a limited number of rooms in student residences for exchange students (the application for the room is made together with the application for the study stay, i.e. before arrival). Your contact persons are Jan-Patrick Proost and Janina Kröner (exchangestuduni-trierde).

Regarding the course selection the ERASMUS-HiWis (era4hiwiuni-trierde) are happy to help you.

Who does certificate the confirmation of my stay abroad and other acknowledgments?

Mr. Jan-Patrick Proost from the International Office (see email above) is responsible for these issues as well.

Where can I find the ERASMUS office of the Department of Business Administration, Economics and Sociology?

The office of the ERASMUS coordinator Carolina Sinning can be found in the C-building in room C 345. The office of the assistants is just next door in room C 346. Please take notice of the office hours.

Where is the International Office?
The International Office is located in the V-building in room V20b.