Information for visiting academics

Trier University opens its doors wide to researchers and scholars from around the world who are interested in teaching and conducting research in Trier. Would you like the chance to deepen your research at our university? Are you interested in collaborating with one or several of our scientists? If so, read on to learn about the various support services available to you.

The Welcome Service offered through the university’s International Office supports visiting scholars with a wide range of services both before and during their stay − from advice on entry requirements and insurance to assistance finding an apartment. You are also invited to take part in our diverse programme of events and activities for our international guests on campus. It’s a great way to get settled into your new environment quickly.

Families are also welcome! If you plan to come to Trier with your family, please take the time to learn about the entry requirements and consider your potential childcare needs ahead of time. We will be happy to help.


A number of German organisations such as the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (AvH) award scholarships to international scientists and scholars. Also check if your home institution or university offers funding for research stays abroad.

Partner universities

If you are currently affiliated with one of our partner universities, you might be eligible to receive special funding. Please check with the International Office for details.

Guest lectureship

If you plan to spend a longer period of time at Trier University as a guest lecturer, your “host” faculty in which you will be teaching will apply for the necessary funding. The university will also cover part of the cost.


Employment opportunities for research projects and professorships are announced regularly. If employed, you will receive a regular salary for the duration of your stay.

Further information can be found in the brochure "Transcending boundaries - Research at Trier University".