COPENMIND Exhibition is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for science and technology. More than 100 universities put their knowledge on display in front of 4,000 industry representatives and potential business partners. This makes COPENMIND Exhibition an ideal occasion for universities to improve their networking skills and their abilities to turn knowledge into profit. For companies, on the other hand, it is an invaluable window to the global university environment.
Worldwide many concepts exist which deal with the continuous loss of the world’s biodiversity. In this context the IUCN Conservation Breeding Specialist Groups or the European Conservation Breeding Programmes as well as national and international zoos and research institutes play significant roles.
Today the combination of modern reproductive biotechnologies and cryopreserved biological materials can support measures to conserve biological resources including those of threatened species.
Hence, in cooperation with the Zoological Gardens Chester, the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) and the Fraunhofer Institute for Biomedical Engineering, the Institute for BioGeoAnalytics and Environmental Specimen Banks of the University of Trier invites to an international workshop on Cryobanks and Wildlife Conservation. Our aim will be to discuss different research concepts that focus on permanent cryostorage and viability of different reproductive cell lines and organs especially from endangered species.
Date of the Workshop: 18 - 20 June 2008
Science Park Trier-Petrisberg
Program of the Workshop:
- Biodiversity and Conservation in respect of global and regional environment and population problems
- Biodiversity and Biomedicine: Cell lines and tissues of endangered species as genetic backup. Potential of stem cells in respect of conservation breeding and reproductive cloning
- Cryoconservation and Food Industry: New biotechnological approaches for conservation measures
- Problems of Cryoconservation: Methods of Freezing & Thawing and Viability of
- somatic cell lines
- germ cell lines, sperm and egg cells
- adult and embryonic stem cell lines
- tissues and organs