Sprechstunde Stefanie Morgen
Die Sprechstunde „Praktikum im Ausland“ am 15. Januar findet 9-11 Uhr (statt 9-12 Uhr) statt!
The International Office at Trier University provides advice on funding for internships abroad.
Further information on teacher trainings abroad can be found under the category Teaching Abroad.
Content of this page:
How do I organise an intership abroad?
Find more information
- in the brochure Wege ins Auslandspraktikum (German version only)
- on the DAAD homepage www.daad.de/ausland/praktikum/de (German version only)
- on the Erasmus Student Network (ESN) webpage https://erasmusintern.org
- via the quality catalogue QualitätsCheck Auslandspraktikum which can assist you in choosing a suitable internship (German version only)
- in the brochure Wegweiser Auslandspraktikum für Studierende issued by the University of Bremen containing helpful guidance (German version only)
Where can I find internships offered (i.e. interships not offered directly within the funding programme):
Often, students apply for internships by THEMSELVES (so to say "blindly") without any prior intership announcements at an - from the student's point of view - attractive company. However, internship announcements can be found at:
- vacancies of the Career-Services at Trier University Stellen Career-Service
- the webpage Erasmus Internships
- the DAAD webpage Praktikumsbörsen weltweit
Furthermore, on the websites of the DAAD you can find:
- a detailed overview of information centres and agencies for specialised internships (Informations- und Vermittlungsstellen für fachbezogene Praktika),
- the worldwide internship exchange (Praktikumsbörsen weltweit) comprehensive list of links for addtional webpages and specialised information, as well as
- a scholarship database that you can search for, among others, subject area, target country or scholarship programmes
Please keep in mind that yourinsurancecoverage by Trier University will generally no longerapply during your internship!
The company providing the internship often requires a certificate for health insurance certificate as well as for casualty insurance and liability insurance. In order to be enrolled, you are obliged to have health insurance. Contrary to French universities, Trier University will not cover yourcasualtyduringyourinternshipabroad. However, this is part of most French (or Luxembourgish) sample contracts by default that we can hence not sign. Therefore, we would kindly ask you to make use of our sample contract (see right).
Please contact your internship company beforehand if you have to take care of adequate health-, liability- and casualty insurance yourself.
If this is the case, you can either contact private insurance companies or in or in some cases apply for the combined health-, casualty and private liability insurance via the DAAD's group contract (Kombinierte Kranken-, Unfall- und Privathaftpflichtversicherung über den Gruppenvertrag des DAAD)
If you are doing an internship in France, Luxembourg or also other countries, the International Office can provide you with an internship agreement ("Convention de Stage" or "Placement Agreement") in French and English (see right column under "Download Formulare"). This agreement is written in such a way that it meets the social security requirements of companies. We can examine and sign ONLY OUR OWN contract template (NO EXTERNAL or alternative contracts).
Furthermore, it is important that you follow the same course of studies throughout the entire period of your internship and that you can attest this to us without further request.
In order for us to sign the contract, we need the following documents:
- a current certificate of enrolment (e.g. Porta-printout)
- your filled-in "declaration" (page 1 of the internship agreement - see right under "Download Formulare")
- the "confirmation of your subject/s", i.e. that within your CURRENT course of studies, your internship is of use and can be accredited (see right "Download Formulare"). Please ask one of your professors or the Erasmus-coordinator of your current course of studies to issue this. We need the confirmation of your subjects to comply with the social security criteria of French/Luxembourgish companies.
- the internship agreement ("Convention de Stage" or "Placement Agreement") has to be filled in completely and has to be submitted in three copies IN THE ORIGINAL (one for each contracting party). You as well as your internship company have to HAVE SIGNED already.
==> Please submit these documents at least one week in advance completely filled in (all in the original and on paper - please no scans, no copies, no data files).
==> After checking them, we can sign your internship agreement. One original stays at the International Office; you can take the other two originals (one for you and one for the internship company) with you or pick it up in the International Office's secretary's office (or have somebody collect it for you).
Contact persons from the departments are NOT authorised to sign. The contract has to be signed by us in the International Office.
Up-to-date information about language tests, that are regularly offered at Trier University, can be found here.
The Agency for International Academic Mobility (AIM) assigns scholarships, taken from ressources of the Erasmus-Programme, for internships with a duration of 2 to 12 months in 33 European countries. The internships can be organised by the applicants themselves; if required the contact point can pass on potential company addresses. Applications can be submitted until shortly before the internship starts and even without a safe internship position.
Students after their 2nd semester and postgraduates as well as doctoral candidates.
Frau Rath/Frau Johann
Agentur für internationale Hochschul-Mobilität (a.i.m. rlp)
c/o Hochschule Trier
D - 54293 Trier
At the latest: three weeks before the start of the internship
Internships at the following institutions can be supported by a short-term scholarship:
- internships at international organisations (UN, EU)
- internships at external German representation
- internships at German schools abroad
- internships at institutes which are part of the Max-Weber-Foundation
- internships at Goethe-Institutes
- internships at the German Archeological Institute abroad
- internships at selected institutes for foreign cultural policy
Funding for self-procured specialised internships with a minimum duration of 40 calender days. The maximum duration for support is 3 months regardless of the actual duration of the internship.
Students in their 2nd semester or higher and graduate students.
Two months prior to the departure, directly at the DAAD, department ST41.
AIESEC and IAESTE are organisations run by students for students. Both organisation offer assistance in finding internship offers for German students abroad as well as for international students in Germany.
AIESEC supports students of all subjects, whereas IAESTE only supports students from science-oriented and engineering degrees.
Students in their 2nd semester or higher and graduate students
Funding of self organised internships and internships with placement processes in international organisations to improve chances for qualified students and postgraduates of working in an international organisation such as the UN or institutions of the EU.
Students that have finished their foundation courses (after their 4th semester) and postgraduates.
Generally until January
The DAAD-Programme RISE weltweit - specialised internships for students of natural sciences, geosciences and engineering.
Specialised internships in predefined projects worldwide for a duration of eight weeks to three months.
Undergraduate students in biology, chemistry, geosciences or related subjects (e.g. informatics)
Generally in November (Canada: September)
DAAD Short-Term-Scholarships for German postgraduates of natural sciences and engineering in Taiwan - Taiwan Summer Institute Programme
Introductory seminar and internship at Taiwanese industrial institutes or at university institutes in August and September.
Postgraduates in natural sciences or related subjects
Generally until January
Funding for graduates and undergraduates who intern at a company in Russia. Funding for internships including a mandatory introductory and final seminar over a period of six months from October to April as well as from April to September.
German undergraduate and graduate students as well as postgraduates of all subjects.
For the summer term: Generally in November
For the winter term: Generally in May
Providing study-related internships in the U.S.
Students after their second year (if necessary with prediploma/intermediate examination)
Six months prior to the start of the internship
This programme offers two-months long summer jobs in Canada with the possibility to travel for one month afterwards. Also, the DKG helps students and junior lawyers in finding internship positions in Canada.
Generally in October (internships) or December (Work & Travel)
Anyone interested in getting involved in the German-Canadian-Association is very welcome - for more information contact Stefanie Morgen, International Office, room V 28
The Franco-German Youth Office supports specialised internships of at least four weeks which are accredited as component of the home university's subject.
Students from their 2nd to their 6th semester
One month prior to the start of the internship
Six to twelve-months long volunteer work in a cultural or educational institution abroad with financial support and accompanying seminar by the German Commission for UNESCO
Generally in November and April
Six to 24-months long development volunteer service in projects in developing countries with financial support by German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
Mercator and the German National Academic Foundation provide university graduates of all subject areas with a 13-months long fellowship programme on international affairs in order to prepare them for executive functions at international organisations and NGOs
Generally in Dezember
Tue.: 09:00-12:00 am
- Coordination of the international summer school
- Advice on internships abroad
- Advice on Erasmus stays in Serbia, Japan and Vietnam
Please note: (If you have further questions, please send an email to the respective email address.)