Entering Germany and visa


Depending on your citizenship, you must have a Visa to enter the Federal Republic of Germany (Bundesrepublik Deutschland – BRD). Please consult a German diplomatic agency or consular post in your home country on entry and residence regulations.

a) No Visa Requirement

Citizens from countries that belong to the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EWR) or from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, South Korea, New Zealand, Switzerland or the USA do not need a Visa to enter Germany.

b) Visa Requirement

If you are a citizen from a different country you’ll need a Visa that allows studying in the Germany to enter Germany.

Please apply for a Visa at your local German foreign representation.

You must include the admission letter from Trier University when applying for a Visa. You may, however, already apply for an applicant visa even you have not received the admission letter by Trier University. It can be changed to a residence permit once you have arrived in Trier and your admission to study has been granted.

Please make sure that you apply for a student or an applicant visa. A tourist, language or Au-Pair visa cannot be exchanged into a student visa. In these cases you must leave Germany when your visa expires.


The issuance of a Visa is subject to a fee. Further information can be obtained from the German diplomatic agency in your home country.