Here you will find information on study fees and living expenses as well as funding options for doctoral studies at Trier University. Furthermore, we also inform you about the necessity of having sufficient funding evidence.


Study fees and living expenses

Study fees

There are no tuition fees for doctoral studies at Trier University. However, there is a financial contribution of approximately 260 € per semester for a student ID. This ID enables you to use the university’s facilities such as the library, computers and internet and you can also use the buses in Trier and some local trains for free.

Living expenses

For being able to cover your living costs in Trier, you will need a minimum 850€ per month to cover the following expenses:

  • Rent for your apartment: approx. 350€
  • Health insurance: approx. 160€
  • Food: approx. 200€
  • Study material: approx. 50€
  • Miscellaneous (clothing, leisure, etc.): approx 90€


You need to ensure that you have at least 850€ per month during your stay in Trier prior to your departure.


Financial evidence

When applying for a visa as well as for a residence permit, you will be required to prove that you have enough financial resources to cover your stay in Germany. If you cannot prove enough financial resources for secured means of support, you will not be issued a residence permit for your stay in Germany.


Funding options

As a doctoral student in Germany, you do not automatically receive any financial aid. Every PhD student has to individually find a way of financing themselves. Some PhD students work at university or local companies, some are granted scholarships and some are supported by their families. In any case, funding needs to be ensured before coming to Germany.


Many international PhD students receive financial support through scholarships. Please be aware of the early application deadlines as well as the different periods of support of each scholarship. We recommend starting organising your scholarship application at least one year in advance.

Most international PhD students apply for scholarships provided by the DAAD (Germany Academic Exchange Service) before starting their PhD studies in German. Scholarships can be found in the DAAD scholarship database.

PhD students who are already enrolled at a German University may also apply for doctoral scholarships from one of the German foundations. Please note, however, that you need to be fluent in German in order to apply. Furthermore, the application process may take up to 1.5 years and you will need to ensure other funding for this period. More information

Trier University itself does not grant any scholarships to fund entire PhD studies. Nevertheless, it does support doctoral students in gaining teaching experience and offering assistance in the writing process of their thesis (not suitable for full funding pf your PhD!). See here for more information.  

Employment at Trier University

International scholars can directly apply for positions at universities in the German higher education system.  It is possible to work as a scientific employee at either a professor’s chair or on a research project for a limited time whilst writing your PhD dissertation.
If you fulfil the required qualifications, you may directly apply for a position at Trier University. All current job offers can be found here.

University employees belong to the TV-L wages grading system. The Association of German Universities has collected information on the different salaries which vary in the different federal states. More information is available here.

Employment at a local company

Another funding option is to work in local company – ideally in part time.

The Agentur für Arbeit offers support in finding a job.

Furthermore, you can yourself look for free positions in various online databases including


Social security and health insurance

Please be aware that the way you finance your studies influences your insurance status: If you are receiving a scholarship, you usually do not have social security and you need to buy health insurance yourself. If you are employed by Trier University or an outside institution, you will receive an employment contract and social security (including health insurance) payments are made automatically. More information in social security and health care can be found here.