Scoil na Bealtaine, 25 April 2015
On Saturday, 25 April 2015, the Scoil na Bealtaine titled Introduction to Celtic Studies took place.
The programme was as follows: Celtic myths of origin (Jürgen Zeidler), Celts in Italy (Lasse Mempel) and From Vortigern to Llywelyn - The Welsh kingdoms of the Middle Ages (Thorsten See).
Scoil na Samhna: Celtic society in antiquity and the early Middle Ages, part II, 24 January 2015
On Saturday, 24 January 2015, the Scoil na Samhna titled Celtic society in antiquity and the early Middle Ages, part II, took place.
Part II dealt with the following topics: Rulers and the reasons why they rule (Jürgen Zeidler), Slave, servant, freeman, serf (Thorsten See), Warrior bands and capture of women (Markus Cillien).
Scoil na Samhna: Celtic society in antiquity and the early Middle Ages, part I, 8 November 2014
On Saturday, 8 November 2014, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., the Scoil na Samhna ("November school") took place, titled Celtic society in antiquity and the early Middle Ages.
The following topics were dealt with in part I: Kinship and social organization (Jürgen Zeidler), Family and the position of women (Lasse Mempel), Education and training (Thorsten See).
Lecture series in summer term 2014: On the trails of the Celts
On Wednesdays every two weeks, 6-8 p.m., a lecture series took place in co-operation with the study programme for senior citizens (Seniorenstudium):
Auf den Spuren der Kelten im Trierer Land und darüber hinaus
Keltologische Forschungen zu Themen von der Antike bis zur Moderne.
(On the trails of the Celts in the region of Trier and beyond. Celtic research on topics from antiquity to modern times.)
7. Mai 2014: Prof. Dr. Jürgen Zeidler (Forum Celtic Studies, Trier University) – Sprachliche Hinterlassenschaften der Kelten in der Region (The linguistic legacy of the Celts in the region)
21. Mai 2014: Agnes Weiß, M.A. (Hochwaldmuseum Hermeskeil / Trier University) – Eisenzeitliche Statuen (Iron Age statues)
4. Juni 2014: Prof. Dr. Martin Przybilski(Trier University) – Fiktionalität im Artusroman des 13.–15. Jahrhunderts (Fictionality in the Arthurian romance of the 13th to 15th century; had to be cancelled)
18. Juni 2014: Dr. Klaus-Peter Goethert (Trier University) – Sachkultur im Übergang – Keltisches und Römisches im Trevererraum (Material culture in transition – Celtic and Roman in the area of the Treveri)
25. Juni 2014: Dr. Thomas Fritsch (Terrex gGmbH, Nonnweiler) – Spätkeltische Adelsbestattungen im Umfeld des keltischen Ringwalls von Otzenhausen anhand spätrepublikanischer Importamphoren (Late Celtic elite burials in the surroundings of the Celtic hillfort of Otzenhausen on the basis of late republican import amphorae)
9. Juli 2014: Dr. Hans Nortmann (Rheinisches Landesmuseum Trier) – Frühkeltische Gesellschaft und Demographie in der Mittelrheinzone (Early Celtic society and demography in the Middle Rhine region)
23. Juli 2014: Dr. Frank P. Meyer (Universität Trier) – Was ist "walisisch" an Angharads Price' Roman "The Life of Rebecca Jones"? (What is "Welsh" in Angharad Price’s novel "The Life of Rebecca Jones"?)
Scoil na Samhna 2012
The "November School" (Irish: Scoil na Samhna) Die Treverer und ihre Nachbarn - Grundlagen ihrer keltischen Kultur (The Treveri and their neighbours - basics of their Celtic culture) on Sunday, 18 November 2012 at 10:30 h a.m. to about 4:00 h p.m. in theatre BZ 37c (Classical archaeology) addresses students of all faculties, senior students and all interested parties. The block seminar provides interdisciplinary insights into the Celtic cultures in antiquity and their relations to the modern age.
In presentations, simple exercises and discussions the following topics will be addressed: the Celtic language as it appears in inscriptions and in toponyms of the region down to the present day; Roman inscriptions from the area of the Treveri that mention indigenous persons, deities, places and tribes; archaeological remains from the Hunsrück-Eifel Culture, the La Tène period and the early Roman epoch (fifth century BC to approximately fourth century AD); literary sources that give information about the history of the region (e.g. Caesar’s Gaulish War).
We ask for registration until 15 November 2012 via the contact form below or by email to the address w2celticuni-trierde.
Presentation 5-7 October 2011
From Wednesday, 5 October, to Friday, 7 October, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., the Forum Celtic Studies will participate in the "Markt der Möglichkeiten" ("fair of opportunities"), organised by the Student Union (AStA). Our booth can be found between the lecture rooms B 20 and B 19.
During these three days, all persons interested, and first-year students and newcomers to Trier in particular, have the opportunity to get first-hand information about the Forum activities.
"Night of Science" on 8 June
Unfortunately, the Forum could not participate as an exhibitor on 8 June because this year's Night of Science was cancelled by the organisers at short notice. It is considered in which framework a presentation of the Forum activities could nevertheless be made.
Guest lecture on 27 May 2011
On Friday, 27 May 2011, at 1 o'clock p.m., Prof. Dr Éamonn Ó Ciardha (University of Ulster / Universität des Saarlandes) gave a lecture on Irish History and Literature from the "Flight of the Earls" to the French Revolution (1607-1789). Following the lecture, there was a discussion with the speaker in lecture hall 9 and subsequently in Weinstube Gehlen.
Scoil na Bealtaine, 8 May 2011
On Sunday, 8 May 2011, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., a "May School" (Scoil na Bealtaine), titled Basics of Celtic Studies (Grundlagen der Keltologie) took place.
10:00–11:00 a.m. Sarah Junges - Kelten und keltisch : Eine Begriffsdefinition (Celts and Celtic: a definition of terms)
11:00–1:00 p.m. Jürgen Zeidler - Die Materialkultur der Hallstatt- und Latènezeit. Ein Überblick (The material culture of the Hallstatt and La Tène periods. An overview)
2:00–3:30 p.m. Sigrid Wald - Was ist keltische Kunst? Entstehung und Entwicklung keltischer Kunst (What is Celtic art? Origin and development of Celtic art)
3:30–5:00 p.m. Sarah Junges - Datierung lateinischer Inschriften mit Beispielen aus dem gallorömischen Raum (Lateinkenntnisse werden nicht vorausgesetzt) (Dating Latin inscriptions, with examples from the Gallo-Roman area)(A knowledge of Latin was not required)