- Climate and meteorology of the polar regions
- Sea ice in the climate system
- Scientific programming and geoinformatics
- Remote sensing, satellite meteorology and digital image processing
- Web mapping, Machine learning, Data visualization, Data Science
publication list (pdf, status 01/23)
- Gong, X., Zhang, J., Croft, B., Yang, X., Frey, M. M., Bergner, N., Chang, R. Y.-W., Creamean, J. M., Kuang, C., Martin, R. V., Ranjithkumar, A., Sedlacek, A. J., Uin, J., Willmes, S., Zawadowicz, M. A., Pierce, J. R., Shupe, M. D., Schmale, J., and Wang, J.: Arctic warming by abundant fine sea salt aerosols from blowing snow, Nature Geoscience, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41561-023-01254-8, 2023.
- Willmes, S., Heinemann, G., and Schnaase, F.: Patterns of wintertime Arctic sea-ice leads and their relation to winds and ocean currents, The Cryosphere, 17, 3291–3308, https://doi.org/10.5194/tc-17-3291-2023, 2023.
- Wendisch et al. (2022): Atmospheric and Surface Processes, and Feedback Mechanisms Determining Arctic Amplification: A Review of First Results and Prospects of the (AC)3 Project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, (published online ahead of print 2022), https://doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-21-0218.1.
- Creamean et al. (2022): Annual cycle observations of aerosols capable of ice formation in central Arctic clouds, Nature Communications, 13, 3537.
- Basics of mathematics and physics for geoscientists
- Introduction to scientific programming and data analysis
- Environmental assessment concepts
- Basics of statistics
- Methods of environmental measurements
- Scientific literature seminar
- Kartographic project study
- Remote Sensing and Monitoring in Meteorology
- Surface Vegetation Atmosphere Transfer (SVAT) modeling
- Climate geography
- Circum-Antarctic sea-ice lead frequencies and regional distribution from satellite imagery (DFG), 2017-2020
- CATS - The Changing Arctic Transpolar System (BMBF), 2017-2020: Monitoring of sea-ice properties and ice production (multi-sensor satellite remote sensing)
- Sea-ice lead detection in the Arctic from MODIS satellite imagery, 2013-2016
- Laptew-See Transdrift, Russian-German Project: Sea-ice remote sensing, 2013-2016