Data Science is becoming a key component of any large business in the world, which is why three of our main facultys decided to join together to create an interdisciplinary program teaching this subject.
Here you can find all the necessary information about the newly introduced masters program at our university.
Information for first semester in Data Science
Dear students in the first semester of the M.Sc. Data Science programme,
There will be an onsite information at Trier University for all students of our first semester on Friday, October 30, 2020 | 9 a.m. | lecture hall 3 (HS 3) | Building B, Campus I. The information provided at this event will also be made available online shortly after.
The first semester courses in the M.Sc. Data Science will be partly digital courses in the winter semester 2020/2021. Details on their organisation can be found via Stud.IP (once you have registered for the courses in PORTA). Here are direct Stud.IP links to the first semester courses:
Introduction to Data Science [digital, only on Oct. 30 onsite]
Elements of Computer Science [digital]
The content of all courses for the first semester will be made available online, which enables remote participation in our Data Science curriculum in the first semester.
The details of course organisation will be given by the respective lecturer shortly before or at the start of the semester via our learning management platform Stud.IP. So please refrain from sending individual e-mails to lecturers beforehand.
To receive this information and to be up to date, it is crucial that you register for your courses in the PORTA system first, which in turn leads to an automatic registration in Stud.IP. Technical details on this are available on the general website of Trier University.
To use PORTA and Stud.IP, you need valid Trier University credentials (email@example.com) which you will receive after proper enrollment at the university. You can either enroll in person in Trier or (if your visa process is delayed, etc.) online. Please refer to this website for more information regarding this process and contact admissionuni-trierde if you have further administrative questions after consulting the website.
We wish you a good start at Trier University!
Stay safe and healthy!
M.Sc. Data Science team
The first semester courses in the M.Sc. Data Science will be digital courses in the winter semester 2020/2021. Details on their organisation will follow at a later stage via Stud.IP (once you have registered for the courses in PORTA)
The profile of the master's program in Data Science is characterized by:
- a unique interdisciplinary curriculum integrating aspects from computer science, mathematics and statistics witha focus on data science
- all courses are taught in English language
- introductory courses on computer science, mathematics and statistics in the first semester enable taking up the study program with a diversity of bachelor degrees
- E-learning courses can be attended in the beginning, in order to compensate for different knowledge levels
- compulsory research project (10 credits) as introduction to independent scientific work
- broad selection of specialty courses with free choice
- double degree masters in combination with computer science, business computer science, applied mathematics, business mathematics and survey statistics
The graduates of the M. Sc. Data Science have, depending on their course specialization, a well-grounded research-based knowledge. This knowledge qualifies them for the acceptance of an occupation in an interdisciplinary environment.Typical fields of activity are R&D, finance industry, insurances, logistics, Biotechnology and medical sciences, IT security, statistical institutes. Examples of activities are:
- R&D of concepts, frameworks and software components for data management and data analysis
- introduction and operation of data management and analysis software for use in companies or public institutions and statistical offices
- conception and implementation of training courses for the use of data analysis systems as well as education and training for manufacturers, users and private or public educational institutions
- performing responsible positions in the field of data analysis in specialist departments, projects or for IT companies and consulting firms
- Prof. Dr. Ralf Münnich (Survey Statistics)
- Prof. Dr. Ralf Schenkel (Computer Science)
- Prof. Dr. Volker Schulz (Mathematics)
An overview of the examination regulations can be found here.
Apart from the short overview above you can also download a detailed module handbook here.
To study Data Science you need to meet certain language requirements, an overview can be found here.
It is also highly recommended to download and read the checklist for admission requirements.
If you satisfy said specifications please make sure to meet our application deadlines.
To support our new foreign master students in the M.Sc. Survey Statistics and the M.Sc. Data Science, we offer a weekly consultation hour
with Ms. Oleksandra Smal. She will give you guidance on administrative aspects and regarding the general planning of your studies at Trier
University. Please note that she will not help you regarding subject matter contents (like statistical problems etc.). You will find Ms.
Smal in the office DM 029 in the DM building on Thursdays from 12:00 through 14:00, starting on 29/11/2018.
For specific questions regarding the studies, please feel free to contact us:
- Dr. Florian Ertz (Student advisory)
- Prof. Dr. Ralf Münnich (Statistics)
- Prof. Dr. Ralf Schenkel (Informatics)
- Prof. Dr. Volker Schulz (Mathematics)