Data Science is becoming a key component of any large business in the world, which is why three of our main facultys decided to join together to create an interdisciplinary program teaching this subject.
Here you can find all the necessary information about the newly introduced masters program at our university.
Dear students in the first semester of the M.Sc. Data Science programme,
there will be an introduction to the M.Sc. Data Science programme on Monday, 28/10/2019, at 10:00 at the Kapelle (K 101) on Campus II.
The welcoming event for the programme in the context of the "Orientierungswoche" on Tuesday, 22/10/2019, at 14:00 in HS 7 on Campus I will
only give you the most relevant dates for the first week and will not include the introduction proper.
Please also note the information on the course "Statistical Programming with R" on the website of the Economic and Social Statistics
We wish you a great semester start.
The course Statistical Programming with R (course number: 14402818) is a mandatory part of the courses Monte Carlo Simulation Methods (M.Sc. Applied Statistics) and Elements of Statistics (M.Sc. Data Science) for students in the first semester in their respective programmes. Accordingly, you have to attend this programming course as well. Please be aware that the course will start in the week before the proper lectures start. The currently planned schedule is as follows:
|Wednesday||23.10.2019||09:00 – 12:00 and 13:00 – 16:00||C 106d (PC pool in the library)|
|Thursday||24.10.2019||09:00 – 12:00 and 13:00 – 16:00||C 106d (PC pool in the library)|
|Friday||25.10.2019||09:00 – 12:00 and 13:00 – 16:00||C 106d (PC pool in the library)|
|Thursday||07.11.2019||16:00 – 18:00||C 106d (PC pool in the library)|
|Friday||08.11.2019||14:00 – 18:00||C 106d (PC pool in the library)|
|Thursday||14.11.2019||16:00 – 18:00||C 106d (PC pool in the library)|
|Friday||15.11.2019||14:00 – 18:00||C 106d (PC pool in the library)|
The first three dates are fixed. The additional dates might still be subject to modifications.
For students in the M.Sc. Data Science programme taking the course Elements of Statistics: the tutorial for this course starts after the programming course (i.e. not before 21/11/2019).
The Economic and Social Statistics Department wishes you a great start to your studies at Trier University.
The profile of the master's program in Data Science is characterized by:
- a unique interdisciplinary curriculum integrating aspects from computer science, mathematics and statistics witha focus on data science
- all courses are taught in English language
- introductory courses on computer science, mathematics and statistics in the first semester enable taking up the study program with a diversity of bachelor degrees
- E-learning courses can be attended in the beginning, in order to compensate for different knowledge levels
- compulsory research project (10 credits) as introduction to independent scientific work
- broad selection of specialty courses with free choice
- double degree masters in combination with computer science, business computer science, applied mathematics, business mathematics and survey statistics
The graduates of the M. Sc. Data Science have, depending on their course specialization, a well-grounded research-based knowledge. This knowledge qualifies them for the acceptance of an occupation in an interdisciplinary environment.Typical fields of activity are R&D, finance industry, insurances, logistics, Biotechnology and medical sciences, IT security, statistical institutes. Examples of activities are:
- R&D of concepts, frameworks and software components for data management and data analysis
- introduction and operation of data management and analysis software for use in companies or public institutions and statistical offices
- conception and implementation of training courses for the use of data analysis systems as well as education and training for manufacturers, users and private or public educational institutions
- performing responsible positions in the field of data analysis in specialist departments, projects or for IT companies and consulting firms
- Prof. Dr. Ralf Münnich (Survey Statistics)
- Prof. Dr. Ralf Schenkel (Computer Science)
- Prof. Dr. Volker Schulz (Mathematics)
An overview of the examination regulations can be found here.
Apart from the short overview above you can also download a detailed module handbook here.
To study Data Science you need to meet certain language requirements, an overview can be found here.
It is also highly recommended to download and read the checklist for admission requirements.
If you satisfy said specifications please make sure to meet our application deadlines.
To support our new foreign master students in the M.Sc. Survey Statistics and the M.Sc. Data Science, we offer a weekly consultation hour
with Ms. Oleksandra Smal. She will give you guidance on administrative aspects and regarding the general planning of your studies at Trier
University. Please note that she will not help you regarding subject matter contents (like statistical problems etc.). You will find Ms.
Smal in the office DM 029 in the DM building on Thursdays from 12:00 through 14:00, starting on 29/11/2018.
For specific questions regarding the studies, please feel free to contact us:
- Dr. Florian Ertz (Student advisory)
- Prof. Dr. Ralf Münnich (Statistics)
- Prof. Dr. Ralf Schenkel (Informatics)
- Prof. Dr. Volker Schulz (Mathematics)