Frequently Asked Questions

Course Selection

When does the semester start in Trier?

The winter semester generally starts at the end of October and the summer semester at the end of April. Exact dates can be found here. For Erasmus students it is important to come a few weeks before and to take care of housing and language courses.

Is there an information event especially for Erasmus students of FB IV?

At the beginning of each semester there is an introductory event for Erasmus students, where students' questions regarding studying in Trier are answered. Please check the homepage for the dates. For further information, the academic assistants (HiWis) are also available.

Which subjects does the University of Trier offer?

The courses can be found in the course catalog on the homepage of the University of Trier. Further information can be found here.

Are there English-language courses?

English courses are mainly offered within the framework of the FFA. Occasionally, there are also other events in English in Department IV. A list of events in English can be found here.

How does course registration work?

Course registration is completed online the week before the event begins.The International Office will assist you with course registration.

Who signs the Learning Agreement?

As the Receiving Responsible Person, Mr. Proost (exchangestuduni-trierde) from the International Office can sign the Learning Agreement. For more information regarding the instructions for a Learning Agreement, please click here.


How many ECTS points do I get per course at the University of Trier?

You can find information about the ECTS points here.

How many ECTS points may I complete?

The rule is that you should take courses worth about 30 ECTS per semester. Of course, it also depends on the learning agreement or the arrangements you have made with your home university. Please clarify this with your home university in advance. 


When are exams written?

Exams are usually written at the end of the semester or during the semester break. For ERASMUS students, early exams are often offered before the end of the semester. The professorship decides whether an ERASMUS exam is offered.

How do I register for ERASMUS exams?

You must coordinate this with the respective professorship. As a rule, registration lists are available in the respective secretariats. The professors will inform you about this in the course.

Can I take an oral exam?

This is decided by the professor. Please discuss this with the professor during office hours.


How do I get a transcript of records for the courses taken at Trier?

The transcript must be applied for in advance. You can get information about this here.

Contact and assistance

Is there help with course selection, apartment search, city tours, etc.?

The International Office offers a 3.5-week introductory seminar at the beginning of each semester (with German course, help with bureaucratic formalities and leisure program). Information about this can be found here. Currently, the program takes place online due to Covid19. In addition, the International Office arranges a limited number of rooms in student residences for exchange students (the application for the room is made together with the application for the study stay, i.e. before arrival). Contact persons are Mr. Jan-Patrick Proost and Mrs. Janina Kröner (exchangestuduni-trierde). Regarding the choice of courses, the ERASMUS-HiWis will be glad to help you.

Who will issue the certificate of my length of stay and other confirmations?

Mr. Proost and Ms. Kröner (exchangestuduni-trierde) from the International Office are also responsible for such matters.

Where can I find the Erasmus Office of FB IV?

The ERASMUS representative Ms. Nele Jacobs is located in the C-Building of the University in room C 344. The academic assistants (HiWis) can be reached in room C 346. You can find the current office hours here.

Where can I find the International Office?

The International Office is located in the V-building in room V 20b.