This collection of legal provisions related to religion in the Federal Republic of Germany is intended to provide a picture of the valid legal norms which is as comprehensive as possible. The law on religion focuses on the sixteen Federal Länder. An exhaustive collection of these provisions would entail many repetitions of provisions that are identical or similar in their wording. For this reason, a selection has been made that is as representative as possible. This volume includes the treaties which apply between the state and the faith communities using the same guiding principle.
I would like to thank the German Foundation for International Legal Cooperation for providing us with a translation of the collection into English.
Trier, August 2002
- This collection was last updated in March 2002.
- This Englisch collection is a selection of legal provisions related to religion in the Federal Republic of Germany. For the complete collection in German (see Religionsrechtliche Bestimmungen in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland)
To download these files you need an Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Follow this link for a detailled table of content
General Overview of Content
- Part Two: Individual Fields of Law
- A) Criminal Law Protection of Religious Freedom
- B) Upbringing and Education
- C) Law on Assembly and Association
- D) Media
- E) Civil Status and Civil Law
- F) Building and Property Law
- G) Protection of Monuments
- H) Burial System
- I) Youth and Voluntary Welfare Institutions
- J) Law on Military and Alternative Service
- K) Imprisonment
- L) Law on Civil Servants and Judges
- M) Funding
- N) Labour Law
- O) Data Protection
- P) Religion and Religious Communities in General Legal Relations
- Part III: State-Church Treaties