Study in the USA

Students of Trier University can study abroad in North America on several different programmes:
- study at any university that has joined the ISEP exchange programme
- study at one of our partner universities
- be a German-language teaching assistant at one of our partner universities

To take part in any of these programmes, you need to have completed at least 3 semesters of your Bachelor's degree.

Also, keep in mind that the academic year in North America runs often from August until May/June. Some universities have quarters, generally with fall quarter starting in September and ending before Christmas, winter quarter starting in January, and spring quarter in April, with classes ending in June. Semester schools generally begin in August, with the fall semester ending before Christmas and the spring semester generally starts in January or February and ends in May or June. But each university follows its own calendar, so be sure to check about the schools you are interested in. One-semester stays are possible, but you need to be well organised to plan one!

Deadlines for exchange applications to the USA are often in November, about a year before you would be going, so if you are interested in these exchanges, plan well in advance and start thinking about the applications as soon as possible.

If you're interested in studying in the USA, or have already been accepted at an American university , Ms Ebbert-Hübner can help you choose a programme of study and arrange a learning agreement. 

Apply now - study in North America 2023-24!

Application deadline for Study Abroad USA & Canada: 21 November 2022

This deadline applies to all exchanges within the academic year Aug/Sept 2023 - May/June 2024.

Find more information here: or here:

Contact person: Stefanie Morgen, International Office, Email:, Tel.: 0651-201-3398

Picture of flag of USA waving in wind

We also have direct exchange agreements with :

  • Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina (also as a language assistant)
  • Clark University (Master's level only)
  • Francis Marion University, Florence, South Carolina
  • Georgetown University, Washington D.C. (Germanistik students ONLY)
  • Hamline University, St. Paul, Minnesota (also as a language assistant)
  • St. Martin’s University, Lacey, Washington
  • Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, Texas (language assistant)
  • University of St. Thomas, Minnesota (language assistant)
  • Virginia Tech, Blacksburg (Math students ONLY)
  • Webster University, St. Louis, Missouri

Further opportunities for the US include the Fulbright program. There are also opportunities for scholarships. See the International Office for more information.

Study in Canada or Australia

If you'd like to study in Canada or Australia, check the individual university websites for term dates and plan the best time for you to go on this exchange. Due to the different seasons in Australia, their term times may be quite different from ours in Trier.

Applications for Canada tend to be due beginning of December. For Australia beginning of July. Check the information with the International office and plan early for applications. Our partners include:

  • University of Manitoba (Canada)
  • University of New England, Armidale (Australia)
  • University of Newcastle (Australia)


Further opportunities in Canada can be found here:

The Canadian Embassy in Berlin on studying in Canada and on spending time in the country in other contexts

Nachwuchsforum der Gesellschaft für Kanada-Studien.

Förderungsmöglichkeiten durch die Gesellschaft für Kanada-Studien.

Direct Applications to Universities Abroad

If you wish to study abroad at a university that is not one of our partners, for example at a summer school (at least 30 days) or as an exchange for a semester (up to 5 months), you can apply for a stipend from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) PROMOS programme to support you financially.

You can find more specific stipends for students of Trier University on the webpages of the International Office, here. For more general information, check out the homepage of the German Academic Exchange Service and look at their database of grants, scholarship and programmes.

Logo of the DAAD