Study in the USA

Keep in mind when planning a semester or year abroad in the USA that some universities have quarters, generally with fall quarter starting in September and ending before Christmas, winter quarter starting in January, and spring quarter in April, with classes ending in June. Semester schools generally begin in August, with the fall semester ending before Christmas and the spring semester generally starts in January or February and ends in May or June. But each university follows its own calendar, so be sure to check about the schools you are interested in.

Deadlines for exchange applications to the USA are often at the beginning of November, about a year before you would be going, so if you are interested in these exchanges, plan well in advance and start thinking about the applications as soon as possible.

Trier University participates in the ISEP exchange program with various destinations: see the International Office  more further details.

Info Session: Studying and Teaching in the USA & Canada 2022/23

The International Office is holding an information session  to introduce the opportunities for studying and working as a teaching assistant in the USA or Canada in the academic year 2022/23. They will present the programmes, the financial support that is available, and the application procedure. 

The session is open to Bachelor's and Master's students; it will be held in German. 

Thursday 4th November 2021, 2.00 - 3.15 pm 

Link to Zoom room:

Meeting-ID: 828 5948 6514
Password: an8E89Xx

Picture of flag of USA waving in wind

We also have direct exchange agreements with :

  • Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina (also as a language assistant)
  • Beloit College, Wisconsin (language assistant)
  • Clark University (Master's level only)
  • Francis Marion University, Florence, South Carolina
  • Georgetown University, Washington D.C. (Germanistik students ONLY)
  • Hamline University, St. Paul, Minnesota (also as a language assistant)
  • St. Martin’s University, Lacey, Washington
  • Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, Texas (language assistant)
  • University of St. Thomas, Minnesota (language assistant)
  • Virginia Tech, Blacksburg (Math students ONLY)
  • Webster University, St. Louis, Missouri

Further opportunities for the US include the Fulbright program. There are also opportunities for scholarships. See the International Office for more information.

Study in Canada or Australia

If you'd like to study in Canada or Australia, check the individual university websites for term dates and plan the best time for you to go on this exchange. Due to the different seasons in Australia, their term times may be quite different from ours in Trier.

Applications for Canada tend to be due beginning of December. For Australia beginning of July. Check the information with the International office and plan early for applications. Our partners include:

  • University of Manitoba (Canada)
  • University of New England, Armidale (Australia)
  • University of Newcastle (Australia)


Further opportunities in Canada can be found here:

The Canadian Embassy in Berlin on studying in Canada and on spending time in the country in other contexts

Nachwuchsforum der Gesellschaft für Kanada-Studien.

Förderungsmöglichkeiten durch die Gesellschaft für Kanada-Studien.

Direct Applications to Universities Abroad

If you wish to study abroad at a university that is not one of our partners, for example at a summer school (at least 30 days) or as an exchange for a semester (up to 5 months), you can apply for a stipend from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) PROMOS programme to support you financially.

You can find more specific stipends for students of Trier University on the webpages of the International Office, here. For more general information, check out the homepage of the German Academic Exchange Service and look at their database of grants, scholarship and programmes.

Logo of the DAAD