Study Counselling

We are pleased that you are interested in studying Sinology at the University of Trier! In this context, a wide range of counselling and information services is available to you.

Frequently asked questions

How can I best prepare myself for studying Sinology?

If you have already decided to study Sinology, but still have some time before the beginning of the semester, you can become active early on by

  • reading some of the introductory works on the general reading list,
  • visiting the Trier University Library and familiarising yourself with its structure and functions,
  • visiting the Confucius Institute in Trier and finding out what they have to offer.


We also recommend that you take part in the orientation days (in the first two weeks before the start of lectures), so that the start of your studies is also well organised.

How do I organise and finance my stay in China?

If you are currently planning your year or semester abroad or would like to find out in advance about the conditions and possibilities of studying in China, you will find useful links and information in our section on studying abroad.

Who is counselling me on questions relating choice of subjects and their combination as well as job orientation?

If you are not quite sure which direction your studies or professional career should take, our colleagues at the Central Student Advisory Service will be happy to help you.

What kind of job opportunities do I have with a degree in Sinology?

For sinologists, as for students of other languages and cultural studies, there is no fixed job description. The concrete fields of work usually result from the respective combination of subjects or from a subject specialisation within sinology. Possible fields of activity are e.g:

  • national and international organisations of an official nature (EU, AHK, UNESCO, etc.),
  • editorial work (newspaper, internet, reference books, television, radio),
  • import and export departments of various trading companies,
  • internationally active clubs and associations,
  • public relations,
  • journalism and communication industry,
  • tourism industry...


to name but a few. In addition, of course, there is the possibility of an academic career.

How hard is it to learn to read and write Chinese?

First of all, as a matter of principle: anyone can learn Chinese! The whole thing is less a question of talent than of individual commitment. Unfamiliar to Germans is the fact that Chinese is a tonal language, i.e. the meaning of a syllable varies with the respective intonation. Another difficulty, or should we say challenge, is the Chinese characters. However, you will find that all these hurdles can be overcome with sufficient patience, perseverance and diligence.

What qualifications do I have to fulfil if I consider studying Sinology?

You should have a fundamental interest in social and (inter)cultural issues and enjoy learning foreign languages. In addition, since this is a humanities subject, you should enjoy reading a lot.

The willingness to spend a longer period of time in China (as part of a study or internship abroad) is not a prerequisite, but it is advantageous for your future professional development.

Who do I have to contact if I want to enrol for a programme at Trier University?

The Student Secretariat is responsible for all administrative matters (admission, enrolment, leave of absence, exmatriculation).

Who do I have to contact, if I have questions regarding BAföG?

The staff of the Office for Educational Supportwill help you with matters relating to the Federal Training Assistance Act (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz).

Who do I have to contact if I want to change my subject or university?

In this case, you must notify the Student Secretariat. You can find information on the subject semester classification and on the recognition of your previous academic achievements on the Dean's Office website.

Who is responsible for questions regarding exams?

If you have questions regarding examinations, you should first look for answers in the examination regulations that apply to you.

If you are studying for a Bachelor's or Master's degree and are unable to take an examination due to illness or other reasons, want to have information about your grades or would like to register for your Bachelor's or Master's thesis, please contact the University Examination Office.

How do I organise my timetable for sinology courses?

There is a study plan for each degree programme that shows which learning modules or courses should be taken in which semester. The respective module descriptions provide information about the learning content and objectives. You will find the corresponding links under the heading "Studiengänge finden".


If you have further questions, you can also make an individual appointment with our study advisors:


Dr. Jan Goldenstein

Phone: +49-651-201-3208

E-mail: goldenst(at)

Room A 350 (Campus I, Building A, 3rd floor)


Carmitha Klink, M.A.

Phone: +49-651-201-3261

E-mail: klink(at)

Room A 351a (Campus I, Building A, 3rd floor)