Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Frequently Asked Questions - Overview (Please click the question to see the answer)
What is the minimum age for the participants?
All participants of our Summer School have to be at least 18 years old.
Am I registered for the course as soon as I submit my application?
Your registration will be confirmed after paying the course fee. The definitive confirmation of your admission will be sent to you by e-mail after we receive your payment. If there is any delay of your payment, please inform us immediately by email (ifkuni-trierde).
How can I receive a confirmation of my course registration in order to apply for a visa?
If you need a confirmation of your registration to apply for a visa, you should contact the coordinator of International Summer School via ifkuni-trierde. As it is usually necessary to present original documents and as it could take much time to send your papers by regular mail, we cannot give you any guarantee you that you will receive your visa in time.
Therefore you need to inform yourself as soon as possible about the entry requirements for Germany at the nearest German embassy.
Can I cancel my registration and get a refund?
If you need to cancel your registration for the International Summer School, you will receive a refund of your payment according to the following conditions:
- Cancellation more than 30 days before the arrival day: refund of your payment minus a 50 Euro service fee (and possibly bank charges)
- Cancellation between the 30th and the 8th day before arrival day: refund of 50% of your payment (and possibly bank charges)
- Cancellation less than 8 days before the arrival day: no refund
What does the course fee include?
The course fee includes:
- the costs for the German language classes
- the academic program
- the cultural program
- all excursions
- opening and closing ceremony
- computer access at Trier University (during the opening hours of the library), wireless LAN access on campus
What extra costs should I expect?
Please consider the following extra costs:
- Accommodation in a student dormitory: approx. 280.00 Euros (for the whole course period)
- Deposit for the accomodation: 50 € (will be repaid if the room is okay)
- Meals: approx. 150-250 € (for instance, a meal in the student cafeteria costs approx. 3,50-5,00 €)
- Public transport: a bus ticket costs 25,00 € per week
- Personal expenses
How can I find accommodation in Trier?
If you wish, you can get a single room in a student dormitory for the entire time of the summer school (while stock of rooms lasts). In this case, you need to indicate in your application form that you would like to book a room.
Also, you need to make a deposit of 50.00 Euros upon arrival, which will be refunded upon departure if your room is left in a satisfactory condition. You will receive beddings upon arrival but you need to bring all further items such as towels or dishes.
Regarding your travel plans, please note that you cannot move in earlier or move out later than the summer school lasts!!
If you wish to stay in Trier before or after the summer school, you can find a number of inexpensive accommodation options. Please make your reservations well ahead of time:
Jugendgästehaus Warsberger Hof
An der Jugendherberge 4
Hilles Hostel Trier
Hotel Casa Chiara
Engelstraße 8, 54292 Trier
More offers you can find on the site of the Tourist-Information Trier.
Placement test / final test
The placement test and the final test consist of a written test. For the final test there can be an additional oral test, too. After passing the final exam, you will receive a certificate showing your level of German and your mark.
Can I get internet access at Trier University?
During your stay you can use the internet access of Trier University. You find a PC pool at the library (opening hours from Mondays to Fridays, 8:00 am - midnight, on Saturdays 9:00 am - 7:00 pm, on Sundays, 11:00 am – 3:00 pm).
On campus we have free WiFi almost everywhere. Because of organisational reasons, in student housing we can't provide internet access for the summer school participants.