Frequently Asked Questions - Overview (Please click the question to see the answer)
Your registration will be confirmed after paying the course fee. The definitive confirmation of your admission will be sent to you by e-mail after we receive your payment. If there is any delay of your payment, please inform us immediately by email (ifkuni-trierde).
If you need a confirmation of your registration to apply for a visa, you should contact the coordinator of International Summer School via ifkuni-trierde. As it is usually necessary to present original documents and as it could take much time to send your papers by regular mail, we cannot give you any guarantee you that you will receive your visa in time.
Therefore you need to inform yourself as soon as possible about the entry requirements for Germany at the nearest German embassy.
If you need to cancel your registration for the International Summer School, you will receive a refund of your payment according to the following conditions:
- Cancellation more than 30 days before the arrival day: refund of your payment minus a 50 Euro service fee (and possibly bank charges)
- Cancellation between the 30th and the 8th day before arrival day: refund of 50% of your payment (and possibly bank charges)
- Cancellation less than 8 days before the arrival day: no refund
The course fee includes:
- the costs for the German language classes
- the academic program
- the cultural program
- all excursions
- opening and closing ceremony
- computer access at Trier University (during the opening hours of the library), wireless LAN access on campus
Please consider the following extra costs:
- Accommodation in a student dormitory: 290.00 Euros (for the whole course period)
- Deposit for the accomodation: 50 € (will be repaid if the room is okay)
- Meals: approx. 150-250 € (for instance, a meal in the student cafeteria costs approx. 3,50-5,00 €)
- Public transport: a bus ticket costs 25,00 € per week
- Personal expenses
The University has a specific contingent of rooms for the summer school. It is limited and only available for the days from arrival to departure day. If you wish to stay in Trier outside this period, OR you did not get a room via the summer school OR you wish to stay in a private room, you'll find a list of inexpensive accomodation options below.
Important! Please book your private room as soon as possible!
Jugendgästehaus Warsberger Hof
An der Jugendherberge 4
Hilles Hostel Trier
Hotel Casa Chiara
Engelstraße 8, 54292 Trier
==> More offers on the site of the Tourist-Information Trier.
The placement test and the final test consist of a written test. For the final test there can be an additional oral test, too. After passing the final exam, you will receive a certificate showing your level of German and your mark.
During your stay you can use the internet access of Trier University. You find a PC pool at the library (opening hours from Mondays to Fridays, 8:00 am - midnight, on Saturdays 9:00 am - 7:00 pm, on Sundays, 11:00 am – 3:00 pm).
On campus we have free WiFi almost everywhere. Because of organisational reasons, in student housing we can't provide internet access for the summer school participants.