As you start your studies, you will hear many new terms and acronyms that may be confusing but in time will become second nature.  To help ease your transition to studying at Trier University, here are some of those terms that you will come across:


Is the abbreviation for Allgemeiner Studierendenausschuss (Student Council). The council is elected by students for one-year terms and are the executive representatives of the student body. The work of AStA is divided into sections, each of which is assigned specific areas of focus. More information may be found on the AStA website.


Audimax is the main Auditorium and refers to the largest lecture hall at the university. The Audimax of Trier University can be found using the campus map here.

Auslandsaufenthalt (Study abroad)

A study abroad is useful to improve one’s foreign language skills, acquire additional qualifications for the job market, expand professional knowledge and to immerse yourself in a new country and culture.  Study abroads can varying in length. There are study programmes lasting one or two semesters (e.g. the ERASMUS program) but also offers that extend over shorter periods (e.g. internships or summer courses). Detailed information on the forms and financing options of a study abroad can be obtained on the websites of the International Office and also in consultations with the International Office.


BAFöG is short for Bundes-Ausbildungsförderungs-Gesetz (Federal Education and Training Assistance Act) and is probably the best-known form of student financing. Half of the funding is paid as a grant, the other half as a loan. The maximum funding period is the standard period of study. Funding is usually approved for one year at a time, which means that each year a request for further funding must be submitted. You can find information on BAföG →here. The advisors in the Trier Univeristy BAföG office are happy to help with your questions. Information on additional options for financing your studies can be found → here.

Beurlaubung (Leave of absence)

There may be reasons where it may be useful to apply for a leave of absence for a semester.  Reasons may include: illness, internship, study abroad, maternity/parental leave, etc. During a leave of absence, the university semesters continue to accumulate, but the counting of the subject semesters is interrupted. Examinations cannot be taken during this semester. The semester student fee must be paid during the leave of absence, to maintain your status as a student. BAföG funding will be suspended during this leave. You can find more info and the application → here


short for: University Library (Bibliothek), which is the green and glass building across from the Mensa. It extends over the whole campus. On Campus II, students in Spatial and Environmental Sciences as well as Computer Sciences will find a separate reference area. In order to borrow books from the library, you will need to use your TUNIKA, which also acts as your library card.


At the university, most courses start a quarter of an hour later than stated. This is indicated by a c.t. (cum tempore) after the lecture date/time information. These 15 minutes are called academic quarter. See also s.t.


The campus refers to the entire university grounds with all buildings, facilities, and open spaces. Trier University consists of Campus I(in the Tarfors district) and →Campus II(in the Petrisberg district).

Credit Points

Credit points are earned academic credits (see also ECTS). They are representative of the amount of time that has to be spent on the corresponding module or individual course. In this way, grades can be correctly weighted in relation to the amount of work (workload). One credit point corresponds to 30 working hours. The module handbook indicates how many credit points one receives for a particular module. The final grade is based on the weighted grade of the accumulated credit points. 

Dekanat (Dean's Office)

Each department has a Dean's Office. The Dean’s Office is primarily responsible for overseeing the coordination and administration of the department.


Trier University has its own print shop where members of the university can have their academic documents (bachelor's/master's thesis, conference flyers, event posters, etc.) printed at low cost. Further information on the print shop can be found →here.


At Trier University, learning content is made available on the Stud.IP e-learning platform.


ECTS is the abbreviation for European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System. It refers to the evaluation system in bachelor's and master's degree programmes. The workload of the individual courses is determined. Accordingly, credit points are assigned to the courses, which are credited to the student upon successful completion of the course or module.


Erasmus is an academic exchange programme that enables students in the bachelor's, master's and State Examination programmes to spend time abroad, usually for two semesters (however, one-semester stays are also possible). The exchange programmes are for individual subjects, since in ERASMUS+ programme is based on cooperation agreements between university teachers/professors from different European universities. Further information on the programme can be found → here.

Exmatrikulation (De-register)

Exmatriculation is to de-register from the university and the removal of a student from the university’s list of students. This can be requested by the student at any time using the appropriate form. Exmatriculation can take place in a certain semester (SoSe / WiSe), at a certain point in time or immediately, but not retroactively. It is not necessary to be in Trier to request being exmatriculated, it can be done completely by mail/via internet. The student ID (TUNIKA) must be enclosed with the application for exmatriculation.

Fachbereich (Department)

The university is has six departments. Each subject/programme is assigned to a department, see here.

Fachstudienberatung (Departmental Academic Advisor)

Questions specific to the subject or programme, the academic plan/timetable or modules can be answered by lecturers in the programme. The list of departmental academic advisors can be found → here.

Fachwechsel (Change of subject)

If you want to change your core subject, major or minor, choose a third teaching subject or change your degree from bachelor's to master's, you have to apply to do so, provided the programme you are switching to has an unrestricted admission designation. For programmes/subjects with restricted admission, an application (via Hochschulstart.de) is required. You can find more information and the application for a change of subject/degree programme →here

Hochschulprüfungsamt (University Exmination Office)

This is where you can find answers to all your questions about exams: from exam dates, registering for an exam, withdrawal from exams to dates for retaking an exam and final papers/thesis requirements and deadline, the staff of the University Examinations Office can help. Contact details can be found →here.

The Faculty of Law has its own Examinations Office located in Building C.

Hochschulwechsel (Change of university)

If you wish to transfer from Trier University to another university, you should first enquire about the relevant requirements at the university you are changing to. This applies to application deadlines and procedures, recognition of academic achievements, etc. Information on these topics can only be provided by the new host university. Further info →here.

Hörsaal (Lecture hall)

These are large rooms or halls in which lectures take place. At Trier University, they are numbered consecutively and are usually abbreviated HS, as e.g. HS 3 or HS 7. The locations of the lecture halls at Trier University can be found here.

Immatrikulationsbescheinigung (Certificate of enrolment)

This document is proof of enrolment (matriculation) and is valid for one semester at a time. An updated certificate is issued after re-registration has taken place and can be found in PORTA. Instructions on how to find the certificate can be found →here

International Office

For students who plan to do a study abroad or for international students studying at Trier University, the International Office is the central point of contact. Staff can also provide advice and support to international students and academics who wish to study, teach or conduct research at Trier University. More info →here


The Mensa is the university's canteen/cafeteria and is open to students, staff and guests. There is a cafeteria on Campus I and one on Campus II. The menu changes daily and is very affordable, especially for students. Payment is made with your TUNIKA (or guest card); which a credit for the Mensa can be loaded at the TUKAN machines or the cash reloaders. The daily menu can be found →here.

Modulhandbuch (module manual)

The module manual is the outline of the modules required for a specific programme of study. If you have more than one programme of study (i.e. a major and a minor) than there will be separate module manuals for each programme which describes the courses needed and any other requirements in detail. Instructions on how to find the module manuals on the Trier University website can be found →here.

Nutzerkennung (User ID)

Each student receives a ZIMK user ID upon enrolment. This is required, among other things, to register for W-LAN (wifi) at the university or in PORTA and Stud.IP. The user ID also provides access to the PCs in the pool rooms.


PORTA is the name of the online portal for Trier University, whose main function is the administration of exams and lectures/events. Students can register for lectures and examinations, create their timetable, print out enrolment and other certificates, or look up module descriptions and examination data. Your user ID is used to register. The portal is also used for students applying to unrestricted admission programmes. Further information and how-to's on PORTA can be found →here

Prüfungen (Examinations)

In order to complete a module, an examination must be taken. The examination regulations provide information on which examinations conclude a module. Examinations can take different forms. It can be a written exam, e.g. in the form of a written exam, a term paper or a portfolio exam. Examinations may also be conducted as oral examinations. Find more information on examination and an FAQ →here

Prüfungsordnung (examination regulations)

The General Examination Regulations govern the general regulations of examinations, in particular registration and admission requirements for examinations, the format of examinations, criteria for passing/failing as well as repeating examinations. The specific subject examination regulations specify the requirements for admission to a programme or course, how it is structured and the examination modalities. The examination regulations are available here.

Rückmeldung (Re-registration)

To continue your studies in the subsequent semester, you must “re-register”. The re-registration is done by paying the next semester’s student fees (Semesterbeitrag). This fee must be paid before the deadline which occurs prior to the start of the next semester. Further information →here


s.t. means sine tempore and indicates that the lecture/event starts punctually at the specified time. See also c.t.

Semesterbeitrag (semester fee)

There are no tuition fees at Trier University, but there is a semester fee that must be paid each semester as part of the re-registration process. The components that make up the semester fee can be found →here

Semesterferien (semester break)

The semester break is the end of the lecture period before the start of the next semester. It is also called "Vorlesungsfreie Zeit". Examinations may be scheduled during this time. The dates for the semester break vary each semester. The exact dates can be found in the schedule →here

Semesterwochenstunden (Course/lecture hours per week)

How many hours per week (SWS) a course comprises can be found in the module handbook. If 2 SWS are allocated to a course, this means that the course meets 2 x 45 minutes every week during the lecture period.


From A for Aerobics to F for Football to Z for Zumba - UniSport offers a wide range of courses at very affordable prices. For more info →here.

SO! StudiwerkOffice

This information contact point in the Mensa foyer offers info on "MensaLoad", as well as moving van rentals, purchasing additional internet access for the dorms, a temporary semester/bus ticket, and help with finding a room and help with problems with the payment function of your TUNIKA.


Lecturers may make supplementary documents available online here for their courses, and courses are also streamed in Stud.IP. Registration data from PORTA is automatically transferred to Stud.IP so that students can view their current courses/lectures there.→ Click here to go to Stud.IP. 

Studierendensekretariat (Registrar's Office)

The Registrar’s Office is responsible for managing the affairs of students and prospective students. Specifically, this concerns, application and enrolment as well as leave of absence, change of subject, re-registration or exmatriculation. You can find the contact details and opening hours of the Registrar’s Office here → here


The StuPa, short for Student Parliament, is elected annually by the student body of Trier University and after the General Assembly of Students, is the highest body representing students. It is responsible for the budget and the election of the AStA, among other things. More information on the StuPa can be found → here.


The TUKAN is the payment machine at Trier University where a wide variety of payment transactions can be carried out.. These include, for example, re-registration (payment of semester fees), topping up credit for the Mensa/cafeteria or printer account, purchasing the semester ticket for university sports, paying for purchases from the university shop or paying for printing fees. Locations of the TUKAN machines can be found → here.


The TUNIKA (=Trierer Universitätskarte) is the name of the Trier University student ID card. It can be used for various payment functions (e.g. eating in the Mensa, printing and photcopying). It also includes a bus and train ticket for the current semester. In addition, the TUNIKA is used as a library card and can also be used to open the doors to the PC pools. Detailed information on the functions of the TUNIKA can be found here.

Validierung (Validation)

After successful re-registration, the TUNIKA should be revalidated. This is done at the validation machines, where the valid dates are printed on your TUNIKA, extending the date by one semester after successful re-registration. Validation machines are located in Buildings A, C, V and F.
Only a validated TUNIKA can be used as your bus/train pass.

Vorlesung (Lecture)

A lecture is an event designed by university lecturers to teach course material. It is held at regular (usually weekly) intervals throughout the lecture period in the semester.

Vorlesungszeit (Lecture period)

The lecture period runs from the beginning of the semester until shortly before the end of the semester, during which time courses take place. The exact dates marking the beginning and end of the lecture period changes each semester. The dates can be found in the schedule → here.

Wifi at the University

There are two wireless networks available at Trier University: ZIMKFunkLAN and eduroam. The user ID is required to log in. Further information on the setup can be found → here.

Wohnheime (residence halls)

There are a number of dormitories, or student housing complexes, both near campus and in the city. The student housing mostly consists of single apartments that can be rented during your studies and are, compared to the rest of the housing market, very affordable. More information about the student housing in Trier can be found → here 

Zentrale Studienberatung (Student Counselling Centre)

The Student Counselling Centre can answer general questions about studying at Trier University, for example about planning and organizing your studies, general orientation problems when beginning your studies, possible subject combinations, changing subjects, etc. Personal counseling appointments can also be arranged. Contact details can be found →here. For more specific questions about a subject or programme, such as student timetables for the first semester, contact the specific departmental academic advisor.

Zentrum für Lehrerbildung (ZFL)

Questions about becoming a teacher, B.Ed or M.Ed programmes, subject combinations and teaching practicums can be answered at the Center for Teacher Education → Zentrum für Lehrerbildung


ZIMK takes care of the information technology infrastructure ( e.g. email, websites, servers, network) of the university. If you have problems with the user ID or the wifi at the university, the → Service-Point is the right place to go.