Application - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Application Process

I enrolled but now want to withdraw before the semester started, is this possible?

Yes, you may withdraw (Verzicht nach Einschreibung). You have to fill out the form "waiver of enrolment" and you may also claim a refund. Mind the deadline and note: the amount refunded will be reduced by an amount depending on the course you enrolled to and if the student ID card (TUNIKA) has already been printed.

What is PORTA?

The PORTA-System of Trier University is your personal portal which you will use throughout your studies in Trier. 
In order to apply at Trier University, you first need to register in PORTA, and follow the instructions.
PORTA has numreous functions that you will need during your studies, like signing in or out to lectures, registering for exams, downloading certain notices or updating your personal contact information. 

When can I apply, what are the deadlines?

For English taught Masters (ETM) - admission granted for 2 semesters:

⇒ RECOMMENDED: application period starts in Mid December for start of studies either in the summer semester (April) or the following winter semester (Oct)
⇒ application period starts in the beginning of May for the start of studies either in the winter semester (Oct) or the following summer semester ( April)

As most beginner modules are offered during the winter semester it is highly recommended to start your studies during the winter semester

For German taught programs:

⇒ application period starts usually in the beginning of May for the start of studies in the winter semester (starts Oct. 1st)
⇒ application period starts usually during December for the start of studies in the summer semester (starts April 1st)

When the application period starts, the portal PORTA opens and applicants can register.

The deadline until when the application has to be handed in at Trier University depends on your nationality and the course you chose to apply to.

Which documents do I need to send to Trier University?

All international applicants apply online by uploading their documents in .pdf format. When you receive a letter of admission you can be asked to send your documents (certified copies) by post to Trier University, in order to complete enrolment.

Link to the checklist for international applicants

What is a certified copy of a document?

The certified copy of a document is the official attestation by a notary or authority, that the copy corresponds to the original document.

To which address do I need to send my application documents?

Only send your documents, if within PORTA you receive an according message, or the admissions officer asks you to do so. Use the following address:

Universität Trier
54286 Trier


May I start my studies in the summer semester?

Yes, you may. However, especially for the English taught Master courses (ETM) most starter modules are scheduled in the winter semester. Therefore it is highly recommended to start the ETM in the winter semester. 


I completed my Bachelor course in India, are there any special requirements?

Yes there are. Please check out our website for applicants who completed the Bachelor in India.

I am an international applicant. How can I apply?

First you need to register in PORTA.

You only need to upload all application documents (documents for German taught programs / documents for English taught master) as .pdf to PORTA. Only once you receive a letter of admission you may/will be asked to send by post your certified documents for enrolment.

Depending on your nationality different deadlines apply.
Please check, prior to applying, if your school/University is accredited via the Database Anabin.

Was müssen internationale Bewerber*innen tun, die eine deutsche HZB haben?

Sie gelten als Bildungsinländer*innen (nicht-deutsche Nationalität, deutscher Schulabschluss). Bei der Bewerbung gelten somit die selben Termine & Fristen und die selben Zugangsvoraussetzungen wie für deutsche Bewerber*innen.

Sie müssen Ihre Dokumente zur Bewerbung nur als .pdf im Bewerbungsportal hochladen.

Do you offer any German classes prior to starting the studies?

No. If you want to apply to a German taught course, you need to hold a German proficiency certificate of level B2 minimum. If all other requirements are me, we invite you to the DSH test (conditional admission), which you need to pass at least with DSH 2 in order to enrol at Trier University. 

Applicants who can provide these language certificates do not need to participat at the DSH test.

If I want to apply to Trier University, do I need to do this via Uni-Assist?

No. Trier University does not cooperate with Uni-Assist. Therefore it is neither necessary nor helpful to provide any documents to Trier University that are related to Uni-Assist. To start your application at Trier University you need to register in PORTA.

Costs and fees

What does it cost to study? How much is the semester fee / tuition?

All students at Trier University pay each semester a semester fee. This semester fee is not a tuition, but rather supports other elements of student life.

Is there an application fee?

No, Trier University does not ask for an application fee. 

Only for the evaluation of international school and/or University degrees Trier University asks for a evaluation fee.

What is the evaluation fee?

In order to evaluate international school and/or University degrees Trier University claims an evaluation fee. An application with international diplomas will only be processed, if the evaluation fee as been paid and all necessary documents have been uploaded complete and the application has been placed online within the deadline.

The evaluation fee only applies once, also if the applicant applies to multiple courses.

How can I pay the evaluation fee and semester/enrolment fee?

You need to tranfer (by bank) the money to the following account. For both fees the same account applies. Note that you might face extra fees on your side. We cannot offer other methods of payment like credit card, paypal etc.

Receiver: Landeshochschulkasse Mainz
Account Iban: DE 22 5451 0067 0228 1556 76
Reference: Universität Trier 6401 8700 38921, Applicant ID xxxxxxxxx, name, Date of birth

More Information on the evaluation fee 

More information on the semester fee