The International Office and Graduate Centre of Trier University have additional funds from the DAAD to support international doctoral students who are in an advanced stage of their doctoral degree. The additional funds are available until the end of this year, and we strongly recommend that all international PhD students who meet the application criteria apply by 15 October 2021.
The aim of the financial support is to enable international doctoral candidates to concentrate on their thesis. Any international student can apply who is in need of financial support, as long as their previously achieved grades are very good and they are in an advanced stage of their doctoral degree and will hand in their thesis after three semesters.
Application deadline: 15 October 2021
Who can apply?
Applications are accepted from doctoral students who…
- are not of German nationality
- are registered at Trier University and will acquire a doctoral degree from Trier University
- need financial support
- and who, based on their previously achieved grades, are likely graduate within a maximum of three semesters (until December 2022)
Applications are NOT accepted from students who…
- are of German nationality
- are not registered at Trier University or will not acquire a doctoral degree from Trier University
- are receiving a full stipend or scholarship from the German Academic Exchange Service or a similar organisation (minijobs on a 450 Euro basis are allowed)
- are planning to complete a study programme or work placement abroad during the period of the scholarship
Value of the scholarship:
- up to 1200 Euros per month
- successful applicants will be granted financial support from the beginning of November 2021 until the end of February 2022 (four months)
- an extension of the support is not possible, neither will it be likely that recipients can receive subsequent scholarships for the final stage of the PhD from the International Office
- Properly completed, printed and signed application form
- Current certificate of enrolment at Trier University
- Summary of previously completed parts of the doctoral thesis and the remaining work required, alongside an individual statement regarding the progress of the thesis.
- Provisional time-table for the completion of the thesis (in monthly steps)
- CV with a passport photo
- Evidence of how you currently finance your doctoral degree
- Reference from a professor (should be sent separately and directly to the International Office via Email by the professor by 15 October 2021. If the reference is not sent in time, the application will not be considered)
Please note that your application can only be considered if you submit a properly completed application form along with all the required documents.
The selection of students for scholarship support is done by a committee of representatives of Trier University’s International Office and International Graduates Centre on the basis of the written application documents. The main selection criteria are realistic time schedules, financial need, and very good performance on the parts of the dissertation completed so far.
A properly completed application does not guarantee scholarship support.
The applicants are informed in writing about the outcome of the application process by the International Office. We kindly ask applicants to refrain from contacting us in advance.
Contact in the International Office:
Please send your complete application and all relevant documents via email to: