Organising your finances

200-euro one-off payment for students

Trier University provides all eligible students with their access code and PIN required for the application of the one-off payment via PORTA.

More information on how to claim the one-off-payment

How much will it cost to study?

How much will it cost to study? | International Students

In order to being able to pay for your living expenses, you need at least 800.00 Euro per month. The highest expenses are due to rent, health insurance and cost of food. The following table lists the different expenses you may expect to have each month

Accomodationca. 280,00 - 320,00 Euro
Health insuranceca. 50,00 - 100,00 Euro
Cost of foodca. 250,00 Euro
Material for studies (books, etc.)ca. 55,00 Euro
Miscellaneous (clothing, leisure)ca. 50.00 - 100.00 Euro

During your first month in Trier you should budget additional expenses.You may likely be required to pay a deposit for your apartment (ca. 600.00 Euro). Moreover, you will need to pay the semester fee
(about 300 Euro). When applying for the visa as well as for the residence permit, you must prove that you have enough financial resources for your stay in Germany. You will not get a residence permit if you fail to provide the proof of financial resources for secured means of support.

►General Information on costs of education and living (DAAD)

Funding options


There are a variety of scholarships with diverse eligibility conditions. These conditions are not only determined by academic performance or social commitment, but also by other criteria. 

Information for students of Trier University on Foundations, "Deutschlandstipendium" and on scholarships to study or do an internship abroad.

Student Part Time Jobs

Our Career Service Portal offers you a central platform for your professional orientation. Here you will find offers for internships and theses, exclusive job offers especially for students of the University of Trier, interesting employers from the region, nationwide, Europe and worldwide, topic-related information and tips as well as events, lectures and workshops to prepare for your professional future ►check out Career Service Portal

The University of Trier and the Studierendenwerk are also employers. Student assistants support professors in their research. Students also work, for example, in the canteen, in the library, in the ZIMK (computer center) or help with the maintenance of the green areas. Keep an eye out for relevant offers in the university communications that you regularly receive on your student e-mail address, and for notices and announcements in your subject. Or register at the info points / central contact points of the Studierendenwerk, ZIMK or library.