Your student ID-Card, commonly referred to as your “TUNIKA”, which you receive after enrolling at Trier University, is a chip-card that has many functions besides just showing your student ID (matriculation) number. This card is used to provide access to various university services (the library, sport and fitness centre, Mensa-cafeterias etc.), payments functions in the TUKAN machines and updating it in the validation machines.
Your student ID-card is also your bus and train ticket within the boundaries of the "Verkehrsverbundes im Raum Trier" (VRT). You can find detailed information on the valid areas on the website of the Studierendenwerk Trier at: www.semesterticket-trier.de.
Please note: your TUNIKA is only valid as a ticket, when legible and for the period of the dates printed on the card (see Validation). In case of complaints, the ticket can be confiscated by the bus/train staff and a fine for fare evasion will be charged. An “Immatrikulationsbescheinigung” is not a valid form of ID as proof of enrolment for the purposes of the bus/train and may not be accepted.
The chip inside your TUNIKA carries a wallet that is divided into several sections. At the TUKAN cash machine, the TUNIKA can be loaded with money (TUNIKA Aufwerten) using your EC card. You can also load your TUNIKA using cash at the Studiwerk service point, at the cashier desk of the Mensa and bistros, i.e. a certain amount is credited to the card.
With credit on your TUNIKA you can
- pay in the Mensa, cafeterias and bistros
- top up your library and library printing account or pay late fees at the library.
- use printing credit to be able to print in the pool rooms.
Your TUNIKA enables you to borrow books or pay fees.
You can pay your late fees at a TUKAN machine in the entrance area of the library or load credit for the photocopiers in the library. To load credit on your TUNIKA, see the section “Paying with your TUNIKA”
For questions about using your TUNIKA in the library: please see the library Info-Centre (Tel. 0651/ 201-2420).
Enjoy culture......for free! DiMiDo, is the cultural semester ticket of the Studierendenwerk Trier makes it possible - simply present a valid student ID at the box office 20 minutes before the performance begins. Further Information here.
Each semester you must re-register (pay the semester fee “semesterbeitrag”) and then validate your TUNIKA. Paying the fee can be done via bank transfer or by paying the fee directly at the TUKAN machines with an EC Card. Once the fee is paid, you can validate your TUNIKA . This is done at the validation machine (next to the TUKAN machines), where the date is printed on your card for the coming semester. Please note the deadlines to register as it must be done before the new semester begins.
Validation machines are located in the A, C, V and F buildings. Only a validated TUNIKA can be used as a bus/train ticket.
The period to re-register for the winter semester is from 15.06.-15.09.2020.
Please note the following information:
- Access to the buildings on Campus I and Campus II remains possible only for employees. Students should continue to avoid the university grounds. For this reason, the option of paying the semster fee for re-registration should be done by bank transfer where possible. Please ensure that you re-register early, ahead of the deadline to avoid any issues. It is important that you include your student ID number (matriculation number) when re-registering so that your semester fee is allocated appropriately.
- Please use the option of bank transfer where possible, early in the re-registration period, as this is crucial for re-registration and can also be done from home. The validation of your TUNIKA may be carried out at a later date if you do not required the semester ticket.
- If you choose to use the TUKAN machine for re-registration and/or the TUNIKA validation machine, you can currently do this at the following location and times:
- V building (TUKAN and validation), Mon-Fri, 08.00-17.00
- Mensa, Mensa building (TUKAN only), Mon-Fri, 09.00-14.30
- Library (TUKAN only), Mon-Fri, 10.00-15.00
- Buildings A, B and C (TUKAN and validation), during the main examination phase from 06.07.-31. 07.2020 from 07.30-16.00, only with your student card (!), entry will be controlled by the security service
- There is currently no access to TUKAN machines on Campus II.
It is not yet clear whether access to the buildings will be extended at a later date.
If you have any questions regarding re-registration, please read the Re-registration website first for more information. If you have any further questions, please contact your advisor in the Registrar’s Office (Studierendensekretariat).
Changes to your TUNIKA e.g. changing your name
If you want a change on the TUNIKA, e.g. a change of name or a new photo, the TUNIKA must be reissued and is subject to a fee (22 €).
TUNIKA locked, unreadable, defective or lost?
TUNIKA gesperrt (locked)
If you receive the message that your “TUNIKA ist gesperrt”, it has been temporarily locked. The Studiwerk Office will be able to help you.
Validation strip is no longer readable or the TUKAN cannot read your card
Please see the staff at the Info-Centre of the Student Counselling Centre (ZSB) in V-building, ground floor by the main entrance. This must be done in person.
Lost or Damaged TUNIKA
If your TUNIKA has been lost or damaged (i.e. cracked, bent or broken etc.), your card can be replaced for a fee. Your will need to provide the following:
- You need to complete the “Antrag auf Erstellung einer TUNIKA-Zweitschrift” (application for a new TUNIKA)
- Pay the fee of 22 € at the TUKAN for a new card. At the TUKAN – select the following: Shop ohne Anmeldung – Universitätsverwaltung – Neuausstellung einer TUNIKA für Studierende. The TUKAN will print three receipts – with the "ticket" needing to accompany your application for a new TUNIKA. The other two receipts are for your records.
- Give your application and ticket to the staff at the Info-Centre (V-Building). If the Info-Centre is closed, you may also deposit the application and ticket in the mailbox at the Registrar's Office. The new TUNIKA will normally be available for pick up at the Info-Centre after 10:00 on the next work day (please note the opening hours!).
Note: When a new card is issued, the old card is automatically locked. However, this does not apply to the payment function. To have the payment function disabled, you need to go to the Studiwerk Office, who can help you further.