The International Office and International Graduate Centre at Trier University have funds available from the DAAD for the financial support of the completion phase of doctoral studies. The primary aim of this financial support is to enable international doctoral candidates to concentrate on the final work of their thesis. Any international student can apply who is in need of financial support, as long as their previously achieved grades are very good and they are in the final stages of their doctoral degree.
The scholarship will be announced again in April 2021
Who can apply?
Applications are accepted from doctoral students who…
- are not of German nationality
- are registered at Trier University in order to acquire a doctoral degree
- need financial support
- and who, based on their previously achieved grades, are likely graduate within a maximum of two semesters
Applications are NOT accepted from students who…
- are of German nationality
- are receiving a full stipend or scholarship from the German Academic Exchange Service or a similar organisation
- are planning to complete a study programme or work placement abroad during the period of the scholarship
Value of the scholarship:
- up to 800 Euros per month
- from beginning of July 2020 for a maximum of up to 6 months
- the scholarship support ends at the end of the month in which the scholarship holder completes their doctoral degree with the oral defence of their thesis
- extension is not possible
- Properly completed, printed and signed application form
- Current certificate of enrolment at Trier University
- Summary of previously completed parts of the doctoral thesis and the remaining work required, alongside an individual statement regarding the progress of the thesis.
- Provisional time-table for the completion of the thesis (in monthly steps)
- CV with a passport photo
- Evidence of how you currently finance your doctoral degree
- Reference from a professor (should be sent separately and directly to the International Office by the professor until 5th of June 2020. If the reference is not sent in time, the application will not be considered)
Please note that your application can only be considered if you submit a properly completed application form along with all the required documents.
The selection of students for scholarship support is done by a committee of representatives of Trier University’s International Office and International Graduates Centre on the basis of the written application documents. The main selection criteria are that the student is likely to complete their qualification within the scholarship period, financial need, and very good performance on the parts of the dissertation completed so far.
A properly completed application does not guarantee scholarship support.
The applicants are informed in writing about the outcome of the application process by the International Office.
We ask applicants to refrain from contacting us in advance.
Contacts in the International Office:
Isabella Tegethoff & Tobias Schank
Please send your complete application and all relevant documents to: