Corona | Beratung per Telefon und Skype möglich

Studieninteressierte und Studierende mit einer gesundheitlichen Beeinträchtigung beraten wir auch weiterhin zum Thema Studium und Studienorientierung  (z. B. Nachteilsausgleiche, Ausstieg und Wiedereinstieg bei Krankheitsphasen). Per Telefon (+49 651 201-3149), per E-Mail oder (nach Terminvereinbarung) gern auch via Skype.


Podcasts und Wegweiser

Infos zum Nachteilsausgleich, Urlaubssemester, Fachwechsel oder auch Hilfs- und Unterstützungsangebote in der Stadt Trier gesucht?
Die Wegweiser und Podcasts können weiterhelfen. weitere Informationen

Studying with a disability, chronic or mental illness

Anyone who is interested in studying, should have the opportunity  However, sometimes it can be more challenging when you have a disability, chronic or mental illness.  It can be even harder when you are new to the university, to find the information you need or find who can answer your questions. 

Whether it is regarding Crohn's disease, thyroid disorder, living with HIV, an autism spectrum disorder, epilepsy, rheumatism, asthma, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, mental health issues, paralysis, spasticity, etc., everyone is welcome to a consultation.

It is important to note that we treat personal information with the strictest confidentiality. 



We are available  to help students and lecturers answer any questions they may have about studying with a disability, chronic or mental illness.  Topics may include:

  • Advice on applying for exam accomodations for reasons related to the medical issue
  • Support with semester planning
  • Information about the possibility to suspend one or two semesters, e.g. if a hospital stay is pending
  • Help with organising your studies


Many students with illness or disability have no difficulties in their studies. However, our counselling service is available to you in any case, even if you only need some information. Don't wait until you are at the end of your rope to take advantage of our counselling service. Come see us before things get too bad, as we are always here for you.

Other resources on campus that offer support and help :  all links available in German only




Application for accomodations

Informations for students (Available in German only)

Barrier-free Studies at Trier University:

Informationes for Lecturers (Available in German only)

Application process

The application process is the same for all students regardless of disability or illness.

A prerequisite for admission is proof of the "Allgemeine Hochschulreife" (or other valid admission qualifications such as a special professional qualification). In the case of subjects with restricted admission, an application is also made via the standard admission procedure (www.hochschulstart.de).

If you are planning to study at Trier University, please contact us as early as possible.

Semester Ticket - Reimbursement

Students with a „Schwerbehindertenausweis“ (German government issued disability card) with a BL or H in their ID can apply for exemption from the semester ticket (this is because they can take buses and trains for free if they have a "Wertmarke" with their Schwerbehindertenausweis). This is also applicatble to students from universities of applied sciences and universities who are enrolled at both universities and have therefore paid the semester ticket fee twice.

Please send a request for reimbursement (informal via letter or email) at the beginning of each semester with a copy of the relevant supporting documents as well as your account details and contact details to:

Studierendenwerk Trier, Universitätsring 12a, 54296 Trier. (Source/ Link)

Who helps where?

A disability or illness should not be a reason to be prevented from studying. Trier University will make every effort to support you in your studies and to make accomodations (where possible), for any disadvantages caused by disability or illness during your studies.

We provide you with the following important information (available in German only):

  1.     Special application hardship case (Sonderantrag Härtefall)
  2.     Accomodation request (Nachteilsausgleich)
  3.     Residence / living accomodations (Wohnen)
  4.     Learning aids and strategies (Lernhilfen- und Strategien)
  5.     Integration assistance – personnel and technical support (Hochschulhilfen/ Eingliederungshilfe)
  6.     Scholarships (Stipendien)
  7.     Psychological counselling (Psychologische Beratung)
  8.     Mobility training for visually impaired students (Mobilitätstraining für sehbehinderte Studierende)
  9.     Study abroad (Auslandsstudium)
  10.     Accessibility at the university: library, parking, etc. (Barrierefreiheit an der Uni: Bibliothek, Parken, etc.)


The handbook  „Studieren mit Behinderung“ "Studying with a disability" is a good resource and can be downloaded here: Available in German only


Wegweiser und Podcasts

Wir haben für verschiedene Erkrankungen „Wegweiser“ als PDF zusammengestellt, die bei der Suche nach Hilfe und Unterstützungsangeboten in Trier behilflich sein können.  Außerdem gibt es eine neue Podcast-Reiheweitere Informationen