International applicants | International graduate students

Most international applicants follow the same application procedure as German applicants. This applies to both unrestricted admission and restricted admission programmes as well as all degree programmes (Bachelor's, Master's, State Examination), including students seeking a university degree (Bachelor's, Master's, State Examination) from Trier University.

Bewerbung, Zulassung und Einschreibung während  der Corona-Pandemie (08.09.2020)

Bitte beachten Sie die folgenden besonderen Hinweise zur Bewerbung und Einschreibung während der Corona-Pandemie.

Haben Sie Fragen dazu, wenden Sie sich bitte an die Mail-Adresse des Admission Office.

General information about application

Dates & deadlines

The application dates & deadlines differ depending on whether you are an EU citizen or not. Therefore, please note the deadlines that are applicable to your case when applying!

Admission requirements

The admission requirements for international applicants are mostly similar to those for German applicants. However, they may differ, for example, in the type of university entrance qualification, language requirements or language certificates. Before you apply, please check whether you meet the admission requirements for studying at Trier University.

Application, admission & enrolment

If you are an international student who wishes to study at Trier University, you must first apply to the university for your chosen degree programme.  If your admission is successful, meaning you receive a letter of admission, then you must enrol (register) at the university.

It is important to note that proof of sufficient German language proficiency must be provided!


Applications to Trier University are only accepted online via the application portal PORTA.

A document checklist indicating what documents are required to support your application will be provided in the application portal. The documents must be compiled and submitted in hard copy once your online application is complete.  

Your application can only be reviewed if you have submitted all the documents listed on the application portal PORTAon time and paid the application fee for the evaluation of foreign documents/certificates!

Admission & Registration

If you receive a letter of admission, you can enrol (matriculate) at Trier University.

If following your application and admission, additional documents  are required in order to enrol, the Registrar's Office will send you the relevant information along with your letter of admission.

You must pay a semester fee in order to enrol. The semester fee is not a tuition fee, but rather supports other elements of student life such as supporting the student council and your student ID as your bus/train pass for local public transportation.

After successful enrolment, you will receive documents including your Trier University login information and your student ID card, referred to as a TUNIKA. With your TUNIKA, you can pay for your meals in the cafeteria, borrow books, print and copy in the library, travel by bus & train and much more.

Further information

Would you like more general information about studying in Germany and how to apply?

Study in Germany [Quelle: DAAD]
Application to a german university [Quelle: DAAD]

Uni-Assist e.V.

Trier University use Uni-assist ("Arbeits- und Servicestelle für ausländische Studienbewerbung").  An application via Uni-assist to study at Trier University is therefore neither necessary nor possible!

Applicants from China, Mongolia and Vietnam

The APS is a service agency of the Cultural Department of the German Embassy in cooperation with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). It checks the validity of the submitted documents as stipulated in the evaluation proposals of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany and conducts interviews with the applicants. The German Embassy only issues study visas to applicants with the APS seal of approval. Currently, there are academic examination centres in China, Vietnam and Mongolia.

Trier University accepts applicants from China, Mongolia and Vietnam only if the applicants enclose an APS certificate with their application for admission!

Further information on how to obtain this certificate can be found on the respective pages of the Academic Evaluation Centres.

International applicants with German educational qualifications (Bildungsinländer)

The same dates and deadlines and the same admission requirements apply to foreigners with a German education (foreign nationality, German school leaving certificate) as to German applicants.

Unrestricted & restricted admission programmes

For degree programmes with open admissions (Bachelor, Master, State Examination), international applicants apply directly to Trier University online via the application portal PORTA.

For Bachelor's programmes with restricted admissions, international applicants apply via the Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung & das Dialogorientierte Service-Verfahren (Foundation for University Admissions & the Dialogue-Oriented Service Procedure) and Trier University’s application portal PORTA.

International applicants for Master's programmes with restricted admissions apply online via Trier University's application portal PORTA.

Degree programmes and Graduate courses

Degree programmes and Graduate courses

Bachelor of Arts / Science (undergraduate courses) - language of instruction is German

Master of Arts / Science (graduate courses) - language of instruction is German

Law (state exam), Public Law (Bachelor / Master minor) – language of instruction is German

In order to be fully qualified to practice law as a profession (lawyer, judge, public prosecutor), passing a state examination in law is required.  Like the Bachelor's degree, the state examination represents an undergraduate degree.

  • The application and admission procedure for the State Examination in Law corresponds to the application for undergraduate courses (Bachelor).

In a Bachelor's or Master's degree programme, one can combine the sub-discipline of public law as a minor subject with the major in political science.

  • The application and admission procedure for the Bachelor of Public Law (minor subject) corresponds to the application for undergraduate programmes (Bachelor).
  • The application and admission procedure for the Master of Public Law (minor subject) corresponds to the application for postgraduate studies (Master).

Bachelor / Master of Education (Teaching qualification) - language of instruction is German

ERASMUS | Exchange programmes | Short-term study | Freemover

ERASMUS / Exchange programme

If you are participating as a student in an exchange programme (e.g. ERASMUS, ISEP, partner universities) and have been recommended by your home university to study at Trier University, you must first apply and receive admission to Trier University.

More information on how to apply within the framework of ERASMUS / exchange programmes


In order to study at Trier University as a short-term student (visiting student/freemover), you must apply and receive an admission from Trier University.

More information about applying as a freemover